Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:26:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Ampeg VH-70

Started by slideman82, August 08, 2012, 05:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slideman82

Any info about this amp? A friend of mine's got one of these, made in USA, and it hasn't any Celestion speaker but an Ampeg Special Designed one (or something like that) that sounds quite like a Celestion, but I think it's not the original one because it's supposed to be Celestion equiiped (there's a plastic label that afirms that). It seems it's a newer version of the SS-70, but I think it has the same circuitry (I've seen a guts pic and looks the same)

J M Fahey

KILLER amp.
Keep it.
Maybe the Celstion died and they replaced it with a Factory-approved speaker. Fine with me.
It must be a high end Eminence with an Ampeg label, by the way.

slideman82

Mmmm I don't think so, it's more like a bass speaker, has a lot of punch and compression, but not enough volume... plugged it to my 1x12 Eminence V128 cabinet and a wall of rock appeared! Too much treble and volume difference.

J M Fahey

Ugh! Then probably you are right, some shop owner who wanted to see it had that speaker lying around an thought "hey !! A Ampge speaker is an Ampeg speaker!!"
Clearly it's not Factory fitted.