Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:52:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Transistors vs. op amps vs. ICs - what's best for SS DIY guitar tinkering?

Started by UsableThought, January 22, 2016, 02:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UsableThought

Quote from: voltwide on February 04, 2016, 05:04:20 AM
I solder prototypes on perfboard  including SMD0805/0603, Mini-Melf and SOT-23.

Yes, I've got the aging eyes. One of the first things I bought a couple of years ago when deciding to do my own guitar setups was that binocular magnifying visor that Dan Erlewine wears in all his videos - he probably wears it to bed for all I know. Well that's cruel. Anyway I use it for anything close up.

I am curious when you say you solder SOT-23 right onto perfboard - is there a trick you're using to avoid an intermediary attachment board? There are all sorts of DIY I read about, some might be doable, others seem insane.

With the copper-bottomed perfboard, for example, I wonder if it's possible to attach SM to the underside - that is, right to the copper - if the copper is cut and/or added to as need be. A sharp hobby blade (Xacto, etc.) can cut it & there are all sorts of things that could be added - e.g. maybe very small snippets of copper foil tape; once a circuit tests out as working, the tape could be epoxied over, so as not to rely on the adhesive only. Or get good w/ working very fine wire such as for the size for winding - but that's getting kind of crazy maybe.

voltwide

I do it like this. What you see is a part of some small flyback converter I am just working at. Actually it works :)