Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 09, 2024, 05:35:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

op amp

Started by icefire, July 08, 2009, 12:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icefire

hey all, me again. i'm currently buying the components for the "Thor" pedal from run-off groove. i haven't had any problems with most of the semi-conductors but i have come across a particular op-amp that is giving me some trouble...the tl071. there are literally a dozen variations on this op amp...the 071acp, the 071acn. i am at a complete loss as to which one to choose, and the guy at store was quite knowledgable about the 071 but not about it's use in an effects pedal.

any help would be greatly appreciated, and i thank you for reading.

icefire

decided to go with the "eighteen" pedal from run off groove. as a first project i think the thor was a bit ambitious especially for a first time build. it is hard to differentiate between the good and useless transistors, which is why the 18 is a good build. it's surprisingly noob friendly, and contains easy to find parts that will suit a standard enclosure, although in time i would like to move beyond this.

thanks for reading.

J M Fahey

Hi. What matters is the "TL071" part, the other letters indicate packaging, temperature range, etc.
The one your supplier has available is fine, will probably end in "cp" which so far as I know means c(ommercial) p(lastic).
Commercial usually means it works between -10/+70 ºC , plastic refers to the case material, usually the price is excellent.
A "Mil"(itary) spec one may work from -50 to + 150ºC, be ceramic encased, gold pinned, radiation hardened, etc, and carry a 1000U$S price tag.
Well, maybe not 1000U$S, but now you know why NASA had to stop most of its projects, they get *way* over budget easily.