Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:21:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Rod Eliot AMP

Started by yatinejkc, February 06, 2007, 01:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yatinejkc

Hey, im doing the 100w amplifier of rod elliot, the mkII, does anyone know how these sound, ive already done the pre-amp on stripboard but the amplifier circuit is really difficult and the pcb is available but only for commercial purposes(its not that cheap), did anyone put the pcb on internet??? I just cant design it on pcb or stripboard, it is too difficult...

teemuk

The PCB is copyrighted by Rod Elliott and sharing it would be illegal. The only reason why he can share that massive amount of information for free is that he makes profit by selling the PCBs and layouts. He truly deserves the money he can earn by doing that.

If designing the layout is over your skill levels then you should hunt down a PCB of an amplifier using a similar circuit (there are plenty) or just buy the PCB from Rod. Even getting all the parts to fit on the board in correct order will usually result only into oscillating amplifier (or just one performing very poorly) unless you know what you're doing. For example, do you know how to route the feedback loop and common return currents or how the bias circuit should detect the temperature...

I don't know how this amplifier sounds but IMO the preamp circuit looks like something that one expects to find inside cheap practice amplifiers that you can buy with less than 100 bucks. It's simple allright - might even sound very good with correct adjustments (practice amplifiers can sound very good too) but that's about it. The diode clipping configuration of the circuit must be a joke. The power amp is pretty conventional design but looks ten times more promising than the pre.

yatinejkc

Ok, but for 100w, i want a stage amplifier(not really powerful for stage but seems ok to me), if the pre-amp is not appropriate, i would use another better one, do ya think the power amp is good for stage(not for practice)??

teemuk

Well, it has a short circuit protection so it should be pretty durable if you get the heatsinking and thermal biasing right. 100W should be enough if you have efficient speakers.

joecool85

100w RMS is fine for pretty much any "stage" use as far as I'm concerned.  But it does depend on what you mean by stage.  In a small club you could use anything from 25-50w RMS and you'd be fine, in a larger club you'd want 50-100w RMS probably.  But if you are playing the halftime show at the superbowl, you'd need a lot more than 100w RMS (of course I'm assuming you would probably just hook into the "house" system at that point anyway).  It also depends on the type of music you are playing/who you are playing with.  If you are by yourself, it won't take much.  If you are with another guitar, a bass and a loud drummer...well, you get the idea.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

yatinejkc

Im playing  hardrock (rammstein, and others), so thats why i would like a 100watt, if the preamp seems to be 'ok 'as says teemuck, i wont use it because i need a perfect one  ;D but anyway ill see if i can use some other more simple products, like 2  LM3886 together, each one giving an output of 60watt. seems feaseable, na??

joecool85

You could just use a LM4780 which is essentially two LM3886's on one chip.  But if you wanted to, you could use two LM3886 chips.  It's up to you.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

yatinejkc

Thanks for the hint man!!!