Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 21, 2024, 06:07:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Need schematic for Crate GFX-65 foot switch

Started by axegrinder6, September 11, 2012, 06:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

axegrinder6

I own a Crate GFX-65 guitar amp which uses a 3 button foot switch. I bought the amp used, but cannot find a switch for less than $30 to $60. However, I have an old 3 button switch that only has one stereo output jack. It doesn't go to any other amp I own, so it's foolish not to try and use it.

I'm thinking just buy 3 LED lights (1 green, 1 red, and one yellow), mount them above each switch.., install a second stereo jack, and just relabel the switch to match the factory Crate switch: 1-solo 2-overdrive 3-dsp   

I have the schematic for the amp, however it doesn't show the foot switch..., just the output jacks (2 1/4" stereo) that go TO the foot switch. I've searched and RE-searched for hours..., can't find a diagram. I went to a guitar store today where they had a used GFX-120 and the guy took the back off of the switch and allowed me to quickly draw out the wiring colors and the basic visual wiring/component layout. One of the jacks has 4 connection points and the other has 6.., yet the GFX-65 AMP schematic shows both of those jacks as standard 1/4" stereo types. I'm not sure if it was the original, but looked all factory to me.

On the switch I looked at, for the jack with 6 terminals.., only 3 are used, and the jack with 4 terminals.., only 2 are used. Does anyone know how the switch for the GFX-65 is wired and can you provide me with a basic simplified diagram where I can wire one using 2 1/4" stereo type jacks? Thanks.

Enzo

They don't include the FS wiring because it is just a basic switch.  Two jacks, one TRS, the other just TS.   That is three controlled lines.  All the switch does is ground each point.  SO the FS inner wiring is ground (shield) of the two jacks connected together and run as a common to all three switches.  Then the remaining side of each switch is wired to one of the three control lines.    Make that work before you add LEDs so you know you have it right.

LEDws are usually going to be in series with the switches, but not always.

Is your old switch with three buttons but only a single TRS jack by any chance for a Fender?   One of those extruded aluminum things?

J M Fahey

Hi axegrinder.
Please post the Crate GFX65 schematic anyway, as to make it possible to guess the type of footswitch it needs.
Otherwise, it's like trying to hit the piƱata blindfolded.