Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:43:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Acoustic (brand) Lead G 20 guitar amp

Started by Wicked_Tone, August 24, 2012, 10:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked_Tone

I wanted to share my experience with the G20, 20 watt solid state combo from the new Acoustic Lead Series of guitar amps. I tried this model out at a local Guitar Center using my Washburn G10V with Seymour Duncan JB bridge. Immediately when I plugged in using the gain channel it blew me away as to how fat and pleasant sounding the amp was, as it didn't have that harsh solid-state character. I bought the amp on the spot after 30 minutes of playing for $69. The EQ section consists of Gain & Volume for the Lead (gain) channel and Volume (rhythm), Bass, Middle,Treble for the clean channel. There is also a push button to scoop the mids and this gives the amp a Mesa Boogie kind of vibe which is cool for a different flavor of tone to work from the amp. Overall, when the amp is operated without the mid scoop it can be dialed in to achieve a nice Marshall sound for blues, hard rock and 70s/80's metal. Personally I would use the scoop feature to capture the modern metal sound, as it works perfectly for that. Being somewhat of a tone snob, I upgraded the 10" 6 ohm speaker with a new Celestion G10 Vintage. As I unscrewed the stock speaker, I was impressed to find that Acoustic used machine screws that thread into a metal inset within the speaker baffle. Usually with cheaper amps the speaker is attached to the baffle by wood screws that are simply screwed into the wood baffle. Once I installed the Celestion speaker, which was much heavier due to a larger magnet than the stock speaker the amp came to life with even more dynamics. The bottom end was more pronounced and not as muddy and slightly fuzzy as before. The mids and highs were rounded off and accentuated the amps already great sonic assault and amp was a bit louder than before. I'm more of a rock guy, so I mainly play on the lead channel, but the clean channel also had a more complex clarity and dare I say shimmer than stock. Anyway, I just wanted to share this experience and also let people know that the Acoustic Lead Series of amps sound awesome for economical musician.
Hughes & Kettner 20th Anniversary Tube Edition Combo
Marshall JMP 2199 2x12 combo
Marshall VS65R
Acoustic Lead Series G20 Combo w/Celestion G10 Vintage

joecool85

Quote from: Wicked_Tone on August 24, 2012, 10:48:05 AM
...I upgraded the 10" 6 ohm speaker...

I thought that was a typo at first but checked and they do come with a 6 ohm speaker...weird!  Glad you've found it to meet your needs and for such an inexpensive price.  I might have to check one out next time I'm at a guitar shop.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com