Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:58:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Problem with Rocktron R120C

Started by Wicked_Tone, August 03, 2012, 01:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joecool85

Quote from: Wicked_Tone on August 15, 2012, 07:46:33 AM
Well guys, I checked the ICs and now the amp is working fine and I've played it several days through both the high and low inputs on the gain channel and the issue seems to have gone away. It's puzzling, but I may eventually solder in sockets and try different ICs in place of the current ones. Thanks again for all the help!

Did you check or change the ICs?
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

Wicked_Tone

I checked all the ICs using compressed air. I haven't tried changing any of them yet.
Hughes & Kettner 20th Anniversary Tube Edition Combo
Marshall JMP 2199 2x12 combo
Marshall VS65R
Acoustic Lead Series G20 Combo w/Celestion G10 Vintage

Roly

Quote from: Wicked_Tone on August 15, 2012, 12:07:09 PM
I checked all the ICs using compressed air.

That does create a rather mind-boggling image of inflating IC's...

{movin' right along however}

I'd say there was a fair chance you have something like a dry joint or crack in a PCB trace somewhere, and that your attention has "fixed" it for the moment, but I would be prepared for it to return.

Fitting IC sockets seems like a good idea ... until you start struggling with the bad connections they so frequently cause.  By all means fit them while you are auditioning different IC's, but once you have found what you want you would be well advised to remove the sockets and solder your chosen IC's directly in.
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.