Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:33:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Rocktron R120C?

Started by Wicked_Tone, July 06, 2012, 12:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked_Tone

I just picked up this guitar combo yesterday afternoon from a local Music Go Round and was surprised at some of the cool tones I got through both the clean and gain channels. I tried the high gain input first and felt that this would be great for covering a more extreme side of metal, as it has way more gain than needed. I favor going through the low input more, as the gain channel was very usable and still could achieve more than enough gain to get me a modded Marshall-like tone for heavy blues, classic rock and 80's heavy metal. This amp is rated at 120 watts, has a huge amount of bottom end from the 2x10 speaker setup and also has a built-in chorus and I believe a digital reverb, as I didn't see a reverb tank, but will pull the amp chasis later today and take a look at the circuit board and electronics. Anyone else heard of this amp or tried one? I haven't found too much info or even a review about the amp.
Hughes & Kettner 20th Anniversary Tube Edition Combo
Marshall JMP 2199 2x12 combo
Marshall VS65R
Acoustic Lead Series G20 Combo w/Celestion G10 Vintage

J M Fahey

Rocktrons are *killer* 80's USA made amplifiers.
Hold to it and never let it go.
It's "the real thing"
Congratulations.

Wicked_Tone

Thanks for the reply! I've played through the Rocktron for several days and I am impressed with the clean channel and the fatness and clarity of the gain channel. I removed the amp chassis and it looks to be well put together. It has a reverb tank and the power transformer is quite large and beefy for a solid state amp, which reinforces the quality of Rocktron. I am lucky to have found this amp.  :dbtu:
Hughes & Kettner 20th Anniversary Tube Edition Combo
Marshall JMP 2199 2x12 combo
Marshall VS65R
Acoustic Lead Series G20 Combo w/Celestion G10 Vintage

joecool85

Cool amp, enjoy it!  Also for future reference, a quick way to check for digital vs reverb tank is to "thump" the amp with your fist and see if it makes noise through the speaker, noise = spring reverb tank.  A small drop of the amp (1-2 inches is all that is needed) while it is on will do the same thing if it has a reverb tank.  Make sure the reverb and volume are up when you test.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com