Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:54:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Obsolete Fender Pots and Clean Volume

Started by wikwox, December 06, 2011, 02:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wikwox

I recently acquired a Fender Pro 185, the red knob version no less. The band and I think it actually sounds better than my similar all tube amp, but it has two problems. The primary one is that the knob for bass on the clean side is broken off at the shaft. Needless to say Fender no longer supplies the pot, does anyone have a source for this? Second problem is that the clean side seems to not have alot of power, in an amp famed for being super loud I have to put it up to 5 to keep up with a not too loud electronic drum set. Having said that the distortion side can definitely peel paint. Any ideas?

polo16mi

Hi:

I thinking about what kind of use break shaft of knob. Maybe clean volumen knob is not good condition too.

If you planning to repair it yourself, need to take out the knob broken, so you can see its value, and check clean vol knob too.

Look around the metal part of the knob, and you´ll see a value like "100KA" or "250KB" or something like that.

First part, are the knob (potentiometer) value, ie 100K, last letter is what kind, so, A is Audio Type or Logaritmic, B is Lineal Type.

I guess that any decent electronic supply store can sell you a couple of potentiometers.

wikwox

I have not taken it apart yet but if it's like the Fender Stage Lead amp I had, also from the late eighties, the pots are of the "snap in" variety. While I could match up the values and post size these pots rely on the chassis for a strong mounting and connection. I may yet be forced to take it to a shop, but at least I know a good one nearby.

wikwox

Think I've found the pot I need, the value is 50K15A and the Fender part # is 0027940000, had fun getting it out but feel I'm on my way to repairing this old beast. The problem with lack of volume on the clean side remains, the value is 50K30C and as yet the part # I came up with is unconfirmed by Fender.I'm hoping that just cleaning out the pots will help

J M Fahey

50K30C probably means 50K reverse log curve . Available, but not very common.
Your best bet is through Fender themselves.
If none available, just as an emergency measure, use a 50K "B" (linear) pot there..
It will work, but the gain range won´t be smooth, from 2 to 5 or 6 won´t change that much and then from 8 to 9 will change a lot.
But it will save next weekend´s show.

wikwox

Found one from a guy named Darren Riley in North Carolina, Fender has none. Still looking for the master volume pot, suspect I'll have to substitute something thats close.