Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:14:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

I'm the new guy with tons of questions...

Started by will316, December 27, 2010, 08:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

will316

Hi everybody. I have a few questions and any help would be appreciated. 1- Is it possible to replace the push button channel switch on my Kustom Solo 16 with a jack for a footswitch? It seems that it would be easy enough, just wondering. 2-Does anyone know how to increase gain in a Gorilla GG30? 3-Is it possible to remove the power section from a cheap home stereo to be used as a power amp for guitar? The unit is a Emerson 4000. Once again, hi and thanks for any advice/help you can spare. Looking forward to hearing from you all!
I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue...

joecool85

Quote from: will316 on December 27, 2010, 08:20:22 AM
Hi everybody. I have a few questions and any help would be appreciated. 1- Is it possible to replace the push button channel switch on my Kustom Solo 16 with a jack for a footswitch? It seems that it would be easy enough, just wondering. 2-Does anyone know how to increase gain in a Gorilla GG30? 3-Is it possible to remove the power section from a cheap home stereo to be used as a power amp for guitar? The unit is a Emerson 4000. Once again, hi and thanks for any advice/help you can spare. Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Welcome!

A lot of these depend on your skills with electronics.  But, assuming you are good with a soldering iron and have a good handle on the basics of electronics:

1.  Yes, it is possible (see here: http://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=1855.0 )
2.  Increasing gain on a Gorilla GC30 should be easy, but we'd need a schematic.  Or you could just put a stomp box in front of it.
3.  Yes you can use the power amp section of a hi-fi amp for guitar purposes, they are the same really.  It's the preamp that is different.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

will316

Thank you. The link is most definitely appreciated! As far as a schematic for the Gorilla, I have been looking but can't locate one. I was kinda hoping a guy could just swap a chip or something. As far as the hi-fi, I'm gonna keep trying to figure that one out. It is very refresging to find a knowledgeable forum with helpful people. Now I need to download some schematics and get to building(hopefully)!

J M Fahey

Write Gorilla/Pignose (same guys) asking for the schematic for servicing purposes.
Tell them model and serial number (so they know you're the legitimate owner)
*Should* work.
Post here your results for further suggestions.

will316

Contacted Gorilla/Pignose. No dice. They tell me whoever owned Gorilla before them left no info for them. I'll also add this-while prompt with a reply, they were very unfriendly. The first e-mail I received simply read: we can't help you. I inquired as to why, that's when I received a very unfriendly e-mail explaining why. It was almost as if they were insulted that I would inquire about such a small, cheap amp named after a primate rather than swine!

Enzo

Perhaps at some time in the future if you find yourself divorced, You may come to understand that similar emotions exist in business.

I thought I had some Gorilla schematics, but not in my files.  I'll see what I can find in my papar files.  I may look in my old computer, but that is way less likely.