Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 01:52:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

RG100 clone - too much for a beginner?

Started by BuryMeInSmoke, October 10, 2013, 09:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuryMeInSmoke

Hey all,

I've been building stompboxes for the last year or so and thought it might be time to step up and build an amp.  The Randall RG100 seems to be pretty well respected and I'd like something high gain.

I've looked over the schematic for the RG100 and it all makes sense to me up until the power amp - still need to do some learning in this area.

This amp would only be for home use, so 100w is a little excessive.  I would like to reduce the power output down to 20-50w.  It'd be powering a 16ohm single 12" and possibly a 8ohm 212 further down the track.

I know I could replace the power amp section with a chipamp and call it a day, but that doesn't sound like fun haha, I'd like to keep it closer to the original and use it as a learning experience.  Will it be a big deal reducing the power output of this amplifier and keeping it discrete?  Will it be as simple as reducing the voltage and replacing the existing transistors with one's more suitable?  If not, it'd be great if someone could point me in the right direction so I know what I'm googling for.

Modifications aside, would the RG100 otherwise be a good build for someone new* to amps?

*I've done the Ruby, Dr Boogey, ROGs Thor, a couple of other distortion/ODs/Fuzzes, created some of my own PCBs - everything has been pretty successful so far.

J M Fahey

I'd build a standalone preamp (so you can use it later with larger power amps) and momentarily use a chipamp, your choice.

Even something as simple as a TDA2050, ample for home practice.

And later you can add a bigger one.

The fact that it's discrete or a chip amp is not that important.