Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:13:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Repairing a Roland JC-50

Started by inertian, June 25, 2018, 12:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inertian

Trying to bring an '80's Roland JC-50 back to life.  Blows both internal 4A fuses on power on, external fuse is ok.

Research indicates the output transistors and possibly the drive transistors are shorted.  Have a schematic, but not 100% sure which are the responsible transistors.  Can anyone point me to the right ones, so I can test and replace?

Schematic uploaded to the Schematics section.

tonyharker

Power transistors, and driver transistors are in the top right of the schematic page 3, Q18, Q22, Q27 & Q28 for later serial numbers, 25xxxx or Q11, Q12, Q13, & Q14 on page 7, for earlier serial numbers 24xxxx. The box around Q13, Q14, Q27 & Q28 means they are on a heatsink or mounted on the chassis

inertian

Thanks very much for the quick and detailed response.

It's a later serial number model  (3xxxxx as I recall) so I will test the transistors ones you called out and find replacements.

On the off chance they all test ok...what would be the next likely culprit?

inertian

Tested the four transistors using the Diode setting on my meter, all have voltage in one direction only.  Think that indicates they are ok.

Time to check for shorted resistors or caps?

Thanks.

phatt

Start at the source,, check the recifier diodes and filter caps FIRST. 8|
Phil.

inertian

Appreciate the suggestion.  Diodes and caps I am familiar with, having spent too much time inside old tube amps...  :tu: