Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:58:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Can you build me an ss amp?

Started by mgcasella, October 01, 2009, 01:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgcasella

I am looking for someone that can help me design and build a clone of an Ampeg VH-140C (or similar) with some modifications.

I've been wanting to do this for a while but, unfortunately, I don't know how to build amps :-\

If it is relevant, I play metal and, yes, I could pay for your time  :)

Please pm me if you can help or point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
-Matt

Brymus

Hi Scrappy
I cant help you build this,but I am curious...
You say you play MEtal type music.
Why did you chose this amp?
It uses the "flexwave" clipping,which I own several Crates and I dont much like the Flexwave clipping for metal.
I REALLY like the MOSFET clipping of my GX series amps it is much "heavier" than the flexwave type. Look at a SHAKA pedal or ZEN drive for other examples of Mosfet clipping.

I did notice they use several stages of the flexwave clipping in this amp so I would suppose it sounds much better than mine which only has one opamp stage doing flexwave duty.
Have you used this amp? Is it the favorite of all the ones you have tried?

I would suggest buying a used one and paying a tech to modify it.
It would be alot cheaper that way.I would guess half the cost after paying someone to
recap and modify the ciruit,VS building one from scratch.
Or try and figure out why you like this amp and find someone to build you something similiar.

There are alot of good builders that use these forums- JM Fahey comes to mind as someone who could do what you want.
Also try DIYstompboxes there are alot of professional FX and amp builders there.

OF course the BEST would be to buy that amp and then read up on electronics
and modify it yourself.You could start by downloading Teemuks book and paying a visit to GEO (RGs site)

mgcasella

Thanks for the reply  :tu:

Yes, I have played it and I think it is awesome

Basically, I AM trying to find someone to help me build an amp similar to this  :)

I'm going to try to fin JM Fahey!
-Matt

R.G.

Or, see my post on a "Rogue" 2x12 100W SS combo for $40 for a "soul transplant".

To the original poster: Please don't take this the wrong way, but insisting on building your own SS amp with no more electronics background than you show may be dangerous. Spend some time learning, build some smaller devices where the costs of mistakes are smaller before you jump into building something from the ground up.

joecool85

Quote from: R.G. on October 06, 2009, 11:20:02 PM
Or, see my post on a "Rogue" 2x12 100W SS combo for $40 for a "soul transplant".

To the original poster: Please don't take this the wrong way, but insisting on building your own SS amp with no more electronics background than you show may be dangerous. Spend some time learning, build some smaller devices where the costs of mistakes are smaller before you jump into building something from the ground up.

I think he wanted to pay someone to do it for him.  While I don't mind if people want to ask for this type of service on the site, I don't expect many (or any) members to actually build an amp like this on contract.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

J M Fahey

Hi Matthew.
I might help you, sort of, considering I'm in Argentina and probably a few thousand miles away from where you live, but obviously only "through mail" and not hands-on.
To begin with, It's a *very* complex amp, just "as is", Mods would be totally out of the question for anybody smaller than, say, Crate/Ampeg itself, Peavey, or similar workhorses.
It's definitely *not* suitable as a beginner's amp.
I'd suggest 3 options, in order of feasibility:
1) Search EBay, Craigslist, etc. until you find a working one. It will be cheaper , faster and safer.
2) Same but settle (if very impatient) with one that has some *minor/bearable* problem, such as , perhaps, dead Chorus (if you don't need it), or preferably only "cosmetic" trouble, such as badly torn , ugly covering, missing corners or handle, spray painted by an "artist", etc. After all, you want it for the sound.
3) As a last resort: print the preamp board image exactly 2x the original size, the best you can, tape some tracing paper over it, and very carefully re-draw it on the tracing paper, using India Ink or similar, and Architect/Engineer type drawing pens, until you have a board drawing as good as the original, 1989 one.
Check it 1000 times against the schematic.
You can then reduce it 2x (to original size) and make one board on photosensitive material.
This is exactly what *I* would do, the "magic" is mainly there.
*The Amp is the board*, everything else can be bought over the counter.
Extra options:
4) Go to a professional PCB maker, send him the schematic and have him re-draw a new, CAD designed board, and have a few dozens made just to spread the cost .
We are talking at least a few hundred Dollars, maybe up to a thousand, and still remains to be solved the Copyright issue.
With *one* handmade board, it clearly is personal/hobby/non commercial use, you should have no trouble, but with many professionally made you are walking on very thin ice.
5) My best bet: build a good pedal clone such as a Jackhammer, drive a couple LM3886 or TDA7293/4 driving 4 good 12" guitar speakers in a big , mean, closed box, you'll have 90% of the sound you are looking for.
A graphic EQ between the preamp and power amp(s) will provide all the chest-thumping bass you need, if the speakers can take it.
Good luck
J M Fahey.
PS: I'm posting this also on SSGuitar for others to see, if with ideas similar to yours.

metalhead

VTX 200 preamp section is to my knowledge similar as  in Ampegs. Crate shockvawe? GX 140 C? Similar?? Whatever the case they sound excellent dialed right and with some additional gear.