Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:39:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

My rig explained with Vid

Started by phatt, October 07, 2022, 03:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phatt

Being that a have talked a lot about how to shape your guitar sound, I thought it was about time I posted a link to my Rig setup.
Just a 10min vid of my gear and a basic explanation of how it all works.

I've tried to keep it short and keep talking to a minimum and let the gear speak for itself. An All SS setup using a cheap strat copy.

I could not find a way to show the Amp, Pedalboard and myself in the same frame so I figured the best idea was to show the guitar and pedal as that's what most will wish to know.

My aim was to create a small rig that was versatile for my needs which is playing, singing and some lead sounds that covered the basic needs of a decent Rock&Roll guitar rig.

Might help folks who are searching for ideas on how to setup a rig.
Phil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ywRd1xcFX8

joecool85

Thanks for sharing, Phil!  Nice playing as well.

Any chance you could share the schematic for your PhAbb Tone here?
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

phatt

Thanks Joe,
I was not sure what the hell I was trying to play.  lol
The cameras audio setup tends to compress a fair bit which effects the outcome which does not give a true representation of the sound/tone and dynamics, but better than nothing.
Here is the PhAbbToneV4 schematic for you, Also adding pics of the rig.
Phil.

Puguglybonehead

That's a nice explanation of the cab-sim. I'd always thought they were only for recording or plugging direct into a sound board. Now it's making more sense.

phatt

Tech marketing for another form of tone control.
Passive EQ,Shelving EQ, Graphic EQ, Parametric EQ, Cab sim EQ.
They all work in different manner but when it all boils down cab sims is a fancy tone control circuit.
Now every other new pedal gizmo has a digital version of every cab you can name.

Every stage of a circuit can alter the tone shape, sometimes a little sometimes a lot. from pickup to speaker all can effect the end tone result.
Phil.

phatt

I found this by accident,
Jim Has spent a lot more money on his research than I have and has arrived at a similar observation as myself about guitar Sound/Tone?

Well worth the time if you want to know just how to make it work without spending a fortune.

Make sure you watch the last part about his Tackle Box,, it will seriously challenge the tube freaks.
Phil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcBEOcPtlYk

joecool85

Quote from: phatt on October 21, 2022, 04:07:22 AMI found this by accident,
Jim Has spent a lot more money on his research than I have and has arrived at a similar observation as myself about guitar Sound/Tone?

Well worth the time if you want to know just how to make it work without spending a fortune.

Make sure you watch the last part about his Tackle Box,, it will seriously challenge the tube freaks.
Phil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcBEOcPtlYk

I actually just found this series of videos a week ago.  I plan on posting about it soon!  Jim is a great story teller and shows us what we've known for a long time - it's all about frequencies - EQ, EQ, EQ.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com