Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:38:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Best solid state amp for metal?

Started by sexafone123, March 03, 2008, 11:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sexafone123

Hey Everybody!!
I have a Fender Blues Deluxe for all my jazz, blues and rock needs, but it sounds too mellow to use for all the metal i play (90% of what i play is Hardcore/Screamo/Death Metal). So i'm looking to buy an amp HEAD that i can get a good metal tone out of. I've been looking around, and it seems like everyone recommends randall. Does anyone have an RX120RHS Head? I'm just wondering if it has enough gain on it to get crazy distorted without a pedal. Anyone know? also, ive looked at that ibanez tone blaster, but I'm not sure about buying an ibanez amp........Any suggestions for an amp head would be amazing, Thanks guys!! Preferably something that has enough gain to play anything without a stompbox.
Kemp

mad hatter

I have a SS-150 and love it.  Nothing comes close.  I don't know if this is kosher on a SS amp forum, but I know a lot of screamo bands (the good ones like Love Lost but Not Forgotten) use Peavey 5150s and sometimes a distortion pedal in conjunction.

It's "Soilent Green" :) Discordance Axis and Inhume used the ampegs, too.

Metalhead, I am greatly impressed with your knowledge of Ampeg users.  Most people don't have a clue about these amps, let alone know who uses them.

misterkarlov

I just bought the Ls-100 and I love it. It does not do SUPER high gain but it puts out a lot of chunk with very good definition.

misterkarlov

Thanks Metalhead! I plan on doing a detailed review of the B-52 once I get a chance to put it through its paces. There doesn't seem to be much about them online other than the tube series.