Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:30:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Identifying sections of tube amp

Started by memoryman, January 22, 2016, 10:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

memoryman

Trying to learn once again, so I guess I will raise my hand and ask a question makes my face turn red. So far I understand enough to work my way through and identify a power transformer and rectifier section...after that I am kinda lost as to what section is what on a tube amp. Can anyone give me a heads up on the various "sections" of a tube amp and how to identify them on the schematic as well as on an amp?

nosaj

If you can identify the output transformer  then you could follow the leads to the tube or tubes to identify the output  and from the output you may or maynot have a phase invertor then to the preamp.  Basically tube numbers will help somewhat and a lot of tracing.

nosaj

phatt

You could try Jack Darrs guitar amp handbook,
http://www.ozvalveamps.org/
link is Halfway down that page under "Articles"

Regards Valve amp concept they are often much the same,, preamp > phase splitter > power valves > OT >speaker. The above book covers all this in some detail.

There is also Valve Wizard which will be more up to date and very good advice on mods;
http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/  He sells books on the subject as well. :tu:
Phil.

Seeker

Hey...my first post.

I have an ABI (acquired brain injury).  Learning new things..well let's say it's a big learning curve for me. When learning about tube amps, besides what's recommended by individuals at sites like this (books etc) I found a guy on You Tube named "Uncle Doug" to be very informative.  Just watching him explain something when he is fixing an amps puts things in "context" for me. It's kinda an "applied knowledge" approach to what I've picked up here and there.  I'm starting to build a SS pre-amp with tube power amp like my old Peavey Classic VT series.  I've found the info people post on these sites so helpful ... so keep on postin' and thanks.
Seeker

J M Fahey

Welcome  :cheesy:

And your project looks cool  :dbtu:

memoryman

Thanks for the links phatt, it will give me lots of information to ponder.

phatt

Quote from: memoryman on February 07, 2016, 11:22:36 PM
Thanks for the links phatt, it will give me lots of information to ponder.
Great to hear; just an update on the Jack Darr link above; that one is down at the mo but a google will find other places to Dload it. :tu:
Phil.

DrGonz78

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein