Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 03:35:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Marshall 5210 Combo Q's

Started by Cascobayfly, January 16, 2015, 01:46:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cascobayfly

Good afternoon,
I'm new to this forum but I've thoroughly enjoyed what I've read thus far. I was hoping to pick people's brains about the value of early '80's 5210 combo that I've owned since 1990. I'm curious as to whether this amp is worth holding on to. I play out of 81' Musicman 112 RD50. Occasionally I'll unearth the Marshall and fall in love with how warm this SS amp sounds. Aside from the lack of volume and power, it sounds like a tube amp. I'm pretty sure this has McKenzie speaker. From a collectors stand point is it's silly to sell this?? Or is this thing only going to be worth $200-300 forever?   

Roly

Quote from: CascobayflyGood afternoon

That kinda depends - I'm in Australia and am just about to have breakfast.   :lmao:

One mans' opinion.

Unless you are primarily a collector you have amps, guitars, keyboards, etc., as your tools of trade, and their value to you is in the range of sounds they make available.  If you like the sound of an amp then my advice is to avoid selling it - most people later bitterly regret doing so.

Of course there are the other considerations, lack of space to store a big stack, the need for money with a new baby, and so on, but generally speaking, unless it really isn't your thing, you don't like anything it does, keeping guitars, stomps, Fx boxes, amps, etc., gives you a greater flexibility when different jobs turn up.

Some gear goes through the roof (e.g. the $25k Strat), often for irrational reasons, but again generally guitar amps tend to hold their value better than just about any other electronic device (particularly consumer/domestic gear).

My 2c.
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

J M Fahey

Quote from: Cascobayfly on January 16, 2015, 01:46:16 PMI was hoping to pick people's brains about the value of early '80's 5210 combo that I've owned since 1990.
What value does it have to you?
I'm curious as to whether this amp is worth holding on to.
See above.
QuoteOccasionally I'll unearth the Marshall and fall in love with how warm this SS amp sounds.
Question self answered.
QuoteFrom a collectors stand point is it's silly to sell this??
Isn't it silly (your word) to look at it like a collector would?
QuoteOr is this thing only going to be worth $200-300 forever?
I don't think it's worth $200 today, go figure.
So what, are you now less in love with its sound?

Cascobayfly

No the sound is still great there's no eminent need to sell it. This was the first forum where I was actually able to find some info about it.   Thx for the feedback.

DrGonz78

My opinion on those 1980's Marshall's is that they are far from being collectors items. However, I feel that they are unique and might even sell faster than newer models. Just like the Lead 12 5005's where they are way over designed (parts wise) for a little amp and they sell well. It seems to me that those era amps were designed better in regards to the parts they used. That alone is a positive from my outlook. Still it is a players amp(like how they call it a players guitar) and that means people will buy them to use it, not collectors. Give it another 30 years and that may change, as it always does. 
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

FRANKJC

Let me know if you want to unload it I have the 2x12 version and I love it. I also have a 20 watt single channel. Both sound great. I don't think they are collectible, but that's fine with me.