Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:29:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Stoopid Question.....

Started by Number_47, October 15, 2008, 12:59:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Number_47

So I've just gotten a hold of a Peavey Supreme XL head. I also have a Carvin SX300-H head, both amps are S.S. I've placed them side by side and done a comparison, and to my ears the Carvin sounds more "tube-y" than the Peavey does. Why is that?...is there some magic involved?..or does it really just boil down to the resistors, capacitors, transformers used? I've played through them both out of a 2x12 Avatar speaker cabinet, along with & without a fuzz pedal on my Fender Standard Strat...sorry for the stoopid questions but i have to know! Also if it IS just a matter of different components is there any way to make the Peavey sound like the Carvin? maybe by switching out parts?....any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanx!

Eddie Hendrixx
'Scuse me While I Kiss The Sky"....

Enzo

If you are looking for a simple  "just do this" answer, you won;t find it.  The two circuits are designed by different people with differnt goals. They are different circuits.  If you want to compare, get both schematics and redraw them in the same style and then AB them.  The actual circuit configuration will make a lot more differnce than brands of resistors.

Is your SUpreme a "transtube" version?  If so, it will be based on darlington pairs of transistors instead of op amps, at least to some extent.  I don't have the prints on the Carvin handy, is it op amp based?  Transistor versus op amp would be a large difference right there.

Number_47

Enzo....thank you SO much dude!. I checked out the schematices from both amps and there are quite a FEW differences between them! i guess I'll be toting the BOTH of them to and from my gigs, as I like the "tube-y"ness of the Carvin, but the Peavey Supreme XL has a "thicker" bottom end. Maybe a dual amp setup with switching between the 2? Anyway thank you for your response...ok gotta go and shatter some windows!

Cheers!

Jack1962

Quote from: Number_47 on October 15, 2008, 12:59:56 AM
So I've just gotten a hold of a Peavey Supreme XL head. I also have a Carvin SX300-H head, both amps are S.S. I've placed them side by side and done a comparison, and to my ears the Carvin sounds more "tube-y" than the Peavey does. Why is that?...is there some magic involved?..or does it really just boil down to the resistors, capacitors, transformers used? I've played through them both out of a 2x12 Avatar speaker cabinet, along with & without a fuzz pedal on my Fender Standard Strat...sorry for the stoopid questions but i have to know! Also if it IS just a matter of different components is there any way to make the Peavey sound like the Carvin? maybe by switching out parts?....any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanx!

Eddie Hendrixx
First they are total different circuits ,no the peavey cannot be made to sound like the Carvin(not simply anyway). The Carvin was built to sound tubish , the Peavey was not. Finally , If you want to do a real taste test of these to amps , I would recommend using the speaker cabs that are designed for them(different speakers change the tone of any amp).

Rock On

Number_47

Thanx! Jack1962!...I tried  the same "taste test' using the 4 x 12 that came with the Carvin and the 2 x 12 from before, and the Carvin does sound different, when I run the Peavey through the same 4 x 12 cab, it gets a different sound than before, more edgy and in your face, AND it also sounds more "tube-y" too! What gives? I mean I know speakers have a lot to do with your initial sound, but can they alter the SAME signal coming from the SAME guitar, through the SAME effects pedals, by the SAME fingers?....incredible!

# 47