Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:45:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Fender Deluxe Clean Up Gone Wrong! Low Output Issue

Started by NoCluesBlues, June 02, 2014, 12:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoCluesBlues

Hello, first time posting to this forum. I recently picked up a Fender Deluxe 112 Plus from a pawn shop for $133. Thought it was a steal, had some cracking in the pots so I thought I'd bring it home and try to clean it up. So here's the story:

Brought amp home and disassembled. Used Deoxit from RS inside each of the pots and jacks (probably a little too much). Waited for a day and a half before reassembling the amp and firing it back up as there seemed to be some residual on the circuit board. (In that time I tried to speed up the process by spraying some canned air on the visibly wet parts and removing with a Q-tip).

Anywhoooo, fired the amp back up yesterday and it now seems to lack output power on both channels. There is some sound getting through and on the bright side, all the pots sound good now haha. I double checked the connections between the speakers and the reverb magnet and they all seem fine.

I plugged in to the power amp input jack and there was a lot more sound coming through the speaker. I'm new to DIY amp repairs and am trying to take this all in as a learning experience. Whether I take it to the shop and let them solve the problem, I just thought I'd throw the issue out here and see what you all have for advice.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks and Cheers!

g1

I think where you said preamp in jack, you meant power amp in?
You may still have an issue with the power amp in jack, give it another shot of cleaner and work a cord in and out of the jack several times.
See if it makes a difference.  If not, try connecting preamp out jack to power amp in jack with a patch cord.  Then try playing through the regular input again.

NoCluesBlues

Quote from: g1 on June 02, 2014, 04:14:46 PM
  I think where you said preamp in jack, you meant power amp in?

Noted and revised thank you.

I gave it another shot of Deoxit and she's rockin again. Thanks for the quick response. I though I had already over done it with the deoxit so I didn't want to perpetuate my ignorance.

Roly

A bit like washing dishes, whatever cleaner you use, Deoxit or metho, the offending contacts also need a bit of a scrub.  So with pots they should be worked over their full travel while wet, and sockets should be worked by inserting and extracting a plug a few times.

Sometimes in bad cases the offending part may need two or three goes before it comes right, and if it doesn't then you have to consider either more drastic disassembly and cleaning, or replacement with new.

The contacts that bridge the Tx Send and Fx Return when nothing is plugged in are particular offenders.

Good score BTW.   :dbtu:
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.