Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:59:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Questions about bridged 386 amp- output wiring and preamp switching

Started by suprleed, December 26, 2007, 07:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suprleed

Happy holidays all.  First post here.  Great forum.  :tu:

I'm in the planning stages of my first 386 based amp.  I'm considering a bridged design like the ROG little gem mkII.  If I wanted to wire the output to a line out jack so I can use it with various speaker cabs, do I simply wire the positive output to the jack tip and the negative output to the ground sleeve?  The ROG schem shows the outputs directly wired to the speaker rather than to an output jack and I'm a little confused.

Would the same wiring go for a headphone jack?  I would imagine that I may need some way to attenuate the volume as described in the ROG FAQ (for non-bridged amps) so I don't go deaf from using headphones.  Any suggestions on how to do this with a bridged output?

Another question just came to mind.  If I wanted to build 2 different buffer/booster "preamp" sections with a switch to select between them, could I have them all running to a single 386 power amp section or would I have to have the switching system totally remove the unused buffer/boost section from the circuit.  For example, if I want to use the stock gem II buffer and one of the AMZ boosters as my two "preamps."  Can i set up a spdt switch at the input to select one of the two the preamps, but have them booth connected to the same point on the power amp (right after the .22 cap on the schematic found at the bottom of the page here http://runoffgroove.com/littlegem.html)?  Or would I have to use a dpdt switch to remove the unused buffer completely from the power amp?  Not sure if there would be problems with the signal flowing back up into the unused preamp section or not.  I'm still pretty green when it comes to this stuff.

Any advice from someone more experienced than myself would be greatly appreciated, thx.

joecool85

You got it down on the wiring for the speaker jack, that's exactly how you do it.  As for headphones, you can just turn the volume down on your guitar, or you can add a potentiometer in there for cutting volume, or you can add a resistor inline with the headphone jack to bring the volume down.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com