Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:07:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

poweramp for a noisy cricket?

Started by demonofthenight, December 12, 2007, 11:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

demonofthenight

Hey guys, (first post) and I only chose such a geeky name so I could have the same name for my SS guitar account as my UG account ;D

I have just built my first amp, a noisy-cricket. It works fine, the tone control is a bit disambigous though, as in I can only just tell if its one way or the other. The clean is also very nice. But the amp only sounds good on really low volumes, as in ear to the speaker low. I was thinking I could find a battery powered power amp to make it louder, as I only built the thing because it was battery powered. Or maybe I should just build a louder battery powered amp? I heard that the little-rebel is good, but I've only heard the thing in high gain, does it sound good in clean?

So any suggestions?

joecool85

Quote from: demonofthenight on December 12, 2007, 11:53:25 PM
Hey guys, (first post) and I only chose such a geeky name so I could have the same name for my SS guitar account as my UG account ;D

I have just built my first amp, a noisy-cricket. It works fine, the tone control is a bit disambigous though, as in I can only just tell if its one way or the other. The clean is also very nice. But the amp only sounds good on really low volumes, as in ear to the speaker low. I was thinking I could find a battery powered power amp to make it louder, as I only built the thing because it was battery powered. Or maybe I should just build a louder battery powered amp? I heard that the little-rebel is good, but I've only heard the thing in high gain, does it sound good in clean?

So any suggestions?

If you post the schematic we may be able to tell you why your tone control is so poor.  And welcome to the board :-)
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

demonofthenight

Hey thanks man, but tones not my problem though

My amp isn't loud enough :(, but as a portable battery powered amp goes it looks like its the best. I was thinking I could build another circuit that makes my noisy-cricket louder.

joecool85

I'm sorry, I read that your tone control was a bit ambigous and addressed that as opposed to your lack of volume.  My little gem (9v battery - lm386 based circuit) is plenty loud for bedroom practice when hooked to a decent speaker (IE - 10" guitar cab), in fact I think I would go deaf if I put my ear to the speaker and played it.

http://www.runoffgroove.com for the schematic on that one.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

darwindeathcat

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Noisy Cricket just a souped up version of the Little Gem. I think that the main differences are the "grit" switch and the tone controls, right? If you aren't getting enough volume, check to see that that you have grounded the speaker to the common ground (ie the battery) rather than to the chassis. I made that mistake once, and as soon as corrected it, I got my volume back!
__ ------------------- __
__ | | | | | | | | | | | __
    --------------------