Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:18:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

I want to upgrade my Marshall VS15

Started by szklemen, October 24, 2011, 10:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J M Fahey

1) You can read your friend´s Speaker DC resistance with a multimeter.
It´s not exact but will provide a reference, so if you measure 3 to 4ohms, it´s 4; and if you measure 6 to 8 , it´s 8.
2) Don´t know why, but European made Jensens are expensive in Europe  :loco , as expensive as Celestions (which have a famous name but are made in China) and more expensive than US Eminences.
In USA, Jensen and Eminence are much cheaper than equivalent Celestions.  :loco
3) I like Jensens very much for their bright "American" sound (think Fender Twins, Stevie Ray Vaughan, etc.) and Celestions for their mid-bass sound (think Marshall, Metal, etc.).
They are both good and valid, depending on what you play.
Same to comparing Strats and Les Pauls, both classic killer guitars but very different between them.
4) Something very important, which will affect your cost a lot: if somebody sends you a spare speaker in its cardboard box through the Mail, will it go straight to your house, no extra expenses, or will it be stopped at Customs where you will pay a lot of tax?
Is Croatia part of the ECU or in the Euro Zone?

EDIT: the beauty of building an external cabinet for your high power 12" is that in the future you can add a 50/60W chipamp there, and you will then have a 15W (original) + 50/60W Marshall, good to play anywhere.

szklemen

Quote from: J M Fahey on October 31, 2011, 08:23:14 AM
1) You can read your friend´s Speaker DC resistance with a multimeter.
It´s not exact but will provide a reference, so if you measure 3 to 4ohms, it´s 4; and if you measure 6 to 8 , it´s 8.
2) Don´t know why, but European made Jensens are expensive in Europe  :loco , as expensive as Celestions (which have a famous name but are made in China) and more expensive than US Eminences.
In USA, Jensen and Eminence are much cheaper than equivalent Celestions.  :loco
3) I like Jensens very much for their bright "American" sound (think Fender Twins, Stevie Ray Vaughan, etc.) and Celestions for their mid-bass sound (think Marshall, Metal, etc.).
They are both good and valid, depending on what you play.
Same to comparing Strats and Les Pauls, both classic killer guitars but very different between them.
Thank you for clarification :)
I guess that smaller market raises the price here in Croatia.. Our musical equipment importers import twice a year - if you placed your order or gave some ideas on time - you can wait 3-6 months to get it (at reasonable price) or order direct from stores abroad and wait what will happen at the customs.

Something very important, which will affect your cost a lot: if somebody sends you a spare speaker in its cardboard box through the Mail, will it go straight to your house, no extra expenses, or will it be stopped at Customs where you will pay a lot of tax?
Is Croatia part of the ECU or in the Euro Zone?

Tough one... no, we're not in the zone yet, we're expected to be a part of EU in approx 2 yrs. I have received books and CD-s from friends (Germany, Ireland, UK) and they would put a sticker on the box that it is a gift, but was open at the customs anyway. I never payed tax on that. If there's a bill they charge by what's the price on it, if not - they have Google and they find the cost and decide how much you have to pay. Tax is 23%, and customs :loco fee - don't know

I don't know what's the story with electronic equipment? Word is that up to 25€ there's no charge. Depending also who is on duty :)

EDIT: the beauty of building an external cabinet for your high power 12" is that in the future you can add a 50/60W chipamp there, and you will then have a 15W (original) + 50/60W Marshall, good to play anywhere.
Yeah, I started calculations based on 5E3 CAB... :)
Don't interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. Napoleon

szklemen

..my project will be stopped for some time  :-\ no paycheck for several months now  :'( and my boss wont make it happen..  :duh I've got to take him to court to get my money  :loco

I'm not going to quit  :trouble just pause awhile
Don't interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. Napoleon