Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 04:57:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Peavy Nano Tube seperate speaker control?

Started by fergusp, December 04, 2009, 06:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fergusp

Hi all,

First post I am fairly practical making guitar and such like, but I am scared of destroying my amp. oh! and my Life if i mess this up.
My idea is to put a variable resistor on the wires going to the speaker. My theory is that I can turn the amp to full giving me the lovely valve distoriton I crave, but be able to turn the volume of this down so I dont shatter my windows any help would be appreciated, I dont want to hurt my amp be fiddling.

Thanks

phatt

YES it can be done, the concept is not new as the idea was thought of a long time ago.

Attenuators are actually the poormans way to do such things but if you want to think outside the box you can be greatly rewarded with a setup that will be hard to beat for the outlay of basic equipment.

I've spent 10 years trying out different ways to do these tricks so I know what works and what does not.

Before I go futher I need a discription of the amp and approx wattage might help
otherwise we will all get lost.
Phil.
EDIT; sorry I don't know what a nano is.

fergusp

Hi,

A Nano tube is a 5 watt amp with only a volume control the louder the amp goes the more the distortion gets going.

Cheers

phatt

OK thanks,

I'll assume you have read all the pros and cons while using *Attenuators* on tube amps.
When just used to turn down the speaker volume they are rather limiting as they do tend to kill off the dynamics of the sound.

You just need an Attenuator which is a special pot used in crossover units to balance the sound.
They can handle a 5 watt amp with ease but make sure you wire them up the right way.

When you get frustrated with the limitations of Attenuators alone then you might want to go the whole way and *Reamplifiy*
your simple tube amp whould then have access to a lot more options.

Well that's what I've done and I struggle when I have to use normal amps.

Meanwhile have a long read of this and find out how the pros get around all this mindnumbing confusing issue.

All text but if you read it you will understand that when looked into with some common sense logic it's dead easy to get stunning tone with even simple inexpensive gear.
http://www.amptone.com/truesecretofamptone.htm
Have fun Phil.