Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:23:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Ohms question

Started by Talkboxert, September 24, 2009, 07:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talkboxert

Hey there, 

I have a (newbie) question about my Fender vintage tube headf (PA 100).

Originally designed as a PA system with 2 speakers, this baby has two 8 OHm outputs.

My question: Could it harm the amp when I only connect 1 of those outputs to a 8 Ohm cabinet? Or should I then use a cabinet of a different Ohmage?

A schematic can be found here: http://www.schematicheaven.com/fenderamps/pa100.pdf

Thanx

polo16mi

Hi:

My 2 cents answer...

If the output says that is 8 ohm, you could conect to it any cabinet or speaker that have an impedance of 8 ohm or more than this, i.e. 16 ohms, no matter the size of the speaker or cabinet.

You *dont ever* should conect any speaker or cabinet with an impedance less than 8 ohms to it, cause you ll pushing out of your PA more power that it can handle, so you ll probably hurt it.

Power[w]=Tension [v]* Current [a],  and Current = Tension / R(impedance)[ohm], so as R is lesser, I is bigger, and so is bigger P. Making R(your speaker or cabinet) leeser you ll trying to get for more power that you PA can give.

Hope usefull answer. Maybe somebody can fine tune my english and concepts.