Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:43:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Porting my new cab. How do I decide on location and size?

Started by mgcasella, August 03, 2009, 03:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgcasella

I received a new Signature LopoLine cab and I installed two Fender Electric Lightnings and, paired with my Laboga, this thing sounds SWEET!

Here is a link to the unboxing:  http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gear-and-equipment/89742-my-custom-lopoline-2x12-is-coming.html

I noticed I don't get enough bass response and I wanted to fix this by porting the cab.  Is there any way I can determine:
1.  The number of ports I should make?
2.  The size of the ports?
3.  Where I should install the ports?
4.  Where can I buy the ports that meet the above parameters?

Any information would be much appreciated - thanks!   :tu:
-Matt

phatt

Try and establish that the speakers are indeed the issue before you start punching holes in an otherwise good box,, it's hard to fill the holes up if it does not work. :'(

I know some jensens had poor bass response.
I also know a lot of Amps today rip off way to much bass,, so maybe do a little Research first.
Cheers, Phil

jbjr

Sorry a bit late on this one...but I concur with phatt - try some different speakers first.  I've recently built a number of boxes and experimented with porting.   If you read the literature on small thiele parameters and guitar speakers you find that guitar (not bass) speaker cabinets are more an art than a science.  I had a jensen speaker C10Q in a laney vc15 -  had no bottom end whatsoever, nice highs though.

I built my latest 1x12 with a removable back panel so I can experiment with openings and speakers.  My best success is cutting a slot the full length of the box behind the speaker magnet (about 3cm wide) - got this tip from Lorantz Speaker cabinet plans.  Sounds better than a round hole elsewhere - go figure.  Seems to work with a variety of speakers.

J M Fahey

Hi mgcasella.
You *do* have two great speakers and a beautiful enclosure, but I guess you want "4x12" sound" and, unfortunately, that means using 4x12"  8|
I'd say: use what you have, which is very good, and when possible, get another one.