Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:55:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Question about Randall RG80 speaker load and preamp mods

Started by sixgunner, March 20, 2010, 12:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixgunner

Hello, this is a great forum I recently found, and I have some questions for y'all....

First of all, I have a Randall RG-80 112sc combo w/ an 8ohm speaker and an additional 8 ohm speaker out.
Amp is rated:
80w @ 8 ohms
100w @ 4 ohms

Now, I'd like to run the combo into my 4x12 5150 cabinet.

The 4x12 has been rewired from 16 ohms to 4 ohms

The combo has two 8 ohm speaker jacks

Question:
Can I run my combo safely into the single 4 ohm load by simply first unplugging the combo's internal speaker?
If no, then how can I run this setup?

Next question......
Can anyone provide info about the channel cloning mod for these amps?
(turning the Green channel into an additional RED channel)
How to? Who offers it? etc.

Thanks for your help!
sixgunner

J M Fahey

Hi sixgunner.
1) You can run any 4 ohm load into your RG80 safely.
The jacks are in parallel.
Your 4x12" there will be killer, post your results.
You should unplug your internal speaker.
2) never heard about it, but it sounds simple enough.
Both channels are very similar, just add whatever's neded to Green Channel to turn it into another Red Channel.
That's about the technical side; musically I don't see much the point of it.
If anything, it will substract versatility to the amp.
Switching from one Red to another Red channel sounds similar to non switching at all.
If you want footswitchable more/less gain/sustain/balls/whatever just build a clean boost pedal which will be *much* more useful and versatile.... and will provide a much meatier sound, boosting the already good Red Channel.

sixgunner

Thanks for the reply....the RG80 sounds KILLER through the 5150 cabinet!
(I mean...didja' think I hadn't already tried it?)
:D

As far as the channel cloning is concerned.....
One thing is that with two RED channels only the Pull/Treble/sustain works on the original RED channel, so you could switch between standard and diode clipping modes....there's that, I guess. :)
The guy I picked up the combo from stated that he had already done the channel clone mod to this amp so I gues I'll have to open it up and compare it against the schematic to see what was done.
I was just curious as to whether there was a site or discussion dedicated to modifying Randall amps already in progress.....any info on that stuff in the future is appreciated.
Thanks again.

-sixgunner