Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:43:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Rickenbacker TR50 4 x 10" speaker buzz

Started by jpopiel, June 25, 2021, 11:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpopiel

I'm brand new here on the SSGuitar forum, so hope I'm posting this in the right place! 

I just purchased a used Rickenbacker TR50 4 x 10" combo that was kind of in rough shape.  I've got it mostly cleaned up and it seems close to fully functional, but the upper right speaker is buzzing intermittently.  I would guess that means it is at least partially blown, but upon inspection I can't seem to find any tears in the cone, etc.  The magnet on the back seems to be fully attached.  I've inspected the rest of the amp and didn't find any mechanical rattles, so I believe the source is this one speaker.  Buzzes worse as it gets louder.  This speaker also seems louder than the other three, but maybe that's just my perception.

Any thoughts?

Enzo

As a technician, I don't expect failed parts to look any different.  Once in a while they do, but not usually.

You probably do have a failed speaker.  It could be a voice coil wire coming free of the former, it could be a warped voice coil, it could be a variety of things inside.

Pull the speaker for testing.   Here is one simple test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31768KUK9K8

Oof course also first make sure no wires are touching the rear of the cone.  MAke sure the mounting bolts are snug. and make sure the terminals on the speaker where the wires connect are not cominbg loose from the frame.

jpopiel

Thanks so much for the reply!  I did the tests but they don't yield obvious damage, so the fault must be more minor.

So now I could use a recommendation where to purchase a suitable 10" speaker replacement that will match the other three original ones.

Thanks again for the help!

Enzo

guitar_paul1

Might be a piece of crud worked its way in somewhere. Maybe experiment with holding it a different angles while using a dustbuster?

phatt

That Video shows an extreme example but it only takes the slightest dis-lodgement of voice coil to make it buzz.
you may not be able to hear it until there is signal.

Also don't forget the speaker braid wires at the back,, although it's more often a failing VC the braids take a lot of vibration. They tend to fail right at the solder points.
Gently wiggle them while the speaker is passing a signal and see if you can get a clean signal if you do you just found the failed braid solder joint.
Phil.