Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:32:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

LM3886 Amp - Transformer Question

Started by mydementia, January 06, 2007, 06:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ApexJr.

Also for heatsinks:

www.apexjr.com/Sinks.htm

Steve @ Apex Jr

mydementia

Yeah, Steve, I saw those sinks on your site...
I also dug around chipamp.com in the 'completed builds' section and saw one guy using a 3x4x0.5" hunk of copper - that sounds better to me than trying to accommodate a big finned heatsink (something in the 4x6x8" range). 
I'm still looking...
mike

joecool85

The problem is with a solid piece of metal is that it will only work for a certain amount of time without shutting down.  It will basically absorb heat, but not disperse the heat into the air.  Fins are really required to get the job done well.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

mydementia

This reminds me of a heat transfer problem from college...

Which dissipates more heat, a heatsink exposed to a volume of ambient air constantly increasing in temperature (Conduction path: Chip-->Heatsink-->Air-->Aluminum Enclosure), or a highly conductive heatsink (copper chunk) thermally coupled to the aluminum enclosure (thus conducting to the larger aluminum enclosure to an ~infinite volume of constantly 'cool' air (Conduction path: Chip-->Copper chunk-->Aluminum Enclosure)

Here's a snapshot of the 'gainclone' that caused me to raise this question:

teemuk

In case it was unclear to someone, that enclosure is a heatsink and the copper mainly just a thermal conductor to it.

Basically, if you want to use small heatsinks you better decrease all thermal resistances and/or use a fan. The answer to your college problem depends on many variables, see:
http://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=404.msg2976#msg2976

mydementia

How about an old P4 CPU Heatsink?  Looks like 1.25" tall, 2.75x3.25" with 23 fins...
I'm running a single LM3886 (PS and Amp boards/kits from Brian at chipamp.com) with 22-0-22V from the transformer into an 8-ohm load oughtta give about 35W... maybe this will work?

joecool85

Running at 35 watts you *might* be ok passively, with a fan it would be perfect.  You could always try it and see, the chip has thermal protection so it will shut down before damage occurs.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com