Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 06:42:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Looking for my first amp build...

Started by sugrhigh, January 12, 2008, 01:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sugrhigh

I have been reading up on amp building a lot here lately (tube amp at first but they are terribly expensive).

Anyways, what is a good beginner amp to build? I have experience with pcb's and general electronics so I'm not a total newbie! I know I'm a beginner so I don't want to bite off more than I can chew, but I also want an amp I would be inclined to use, that sounds good, and is of somewhat high quality. I'd like about a 50 watter, but if you think that is a bad idea for a beginner I'll consider anything because after all, I'm new!!

I have seen the Little Gem (and MKII) and wasn't impressed with the sound clip I head of the MKII, the Little Gem was nice but I think I want something a little large. Same goes for the Noisy Cricket....

Basically, what amp would you suggest and what's a reasonable price estimate for the amp (without cabinet and speaker so just the head).

Thanks for any replies!

joecool85

I'd suggest building a LM3886 kit from brian at chipamp.com for the power amp section, and pretty much anything you want for the preamp.  They aren't too pricey at $50 with all the parts necessary to build it (minus the transformer and heat sink).  Be prepared to spend ~$100 on the poweramp once you get it all running.  The preamp can be done for much cheaper, on the order of $25 normally depending on how you do it and what you choose to do.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

sugrhigh

Thanks for the quick reply

I checked out chipamp.com and seems like a good plan.
But on that topic:
Should I get the dual mono or stereo chipamp?
Do I just replace the RCA jacks with a 1/4" (guitar) jack?

I have about $200 to spend on the electronic side of the amp because I have a spare celestion speaker and I will be building the speaker cabinet and the amp enclosure

What's a good preamp that sounds good with the 3886 amp and preferably contains a tone stack?

-EDIT-
Also, what transformer/heatsink would you suggest?
Is it the transformer that determines the wattage (50watt, 100watt, etc.)?

joecool85

You'll want a single mono setup from Brian, last I knew he had one listed on the site.  Also, it sounds like you might want to do some reading on the forum to understand power supplies and amps in general.  Our wiki will do you some good, start here: http://wiki.ssguitar.com/index.php?title=General_Chipamp_Info
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

sugrhigh

I thought so but wanted to make sure. Thanks

Yeah I'm used to following a pcb/perfboard layout, soldering, and using my multimeter and being done. Haven't read up on power supplies but I'll check out the whole wiki.

Thanks for all your help