Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:41:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

HH IC100S

Started by bolan, December 23, 2009, 03:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bolan

Hi, I have an HH IC100S. Can anyone advise me what is the best way to set up a 'lead' guitar setting which can be switched from a 'rhythm' setting? I've tried clean boosters but all they seem to do is accentuate the distortion rather than the volume. If I roll the volume back on the guitar, I lose the tone I love. So, basically what I would like is two volumes with the same tone. Make sense? Will a volume pedal work or will that just replicate what my volume pot on the guitar is doing?

The path I'm using is as follows:
Guitar - Teese Wah - Peterson Strobostomp - Dallas Rangemaster - T. Rex Replica - amp input (sustain channel Normal).

J M Fahey

Once you start distorting/clipping, the volume stays fixed at that level .
That's why any gain boost (clean or dirty) before it will make it dirtier, but not louder (well, maybe a little)
To get what you need, I'd build *two* preamps with the sound I like (clean, dirty, whatever) and switch its outputs, using the HH only as a clean power amp after that.

kikey

Hi

I am interested in the sustain circuit in the HH IC100S.
Anyone here know where to find a schematic ??  ???

Thanks,

J M Fahey

You mean the hidden/potted Valve Simulator module?
I'll check, I had it somewhere, but basically they overdrive a FET, to mimic a Tube, and they equalize it a little, not NASA technology here.

kikey

Quote from: J M Fahey on January 06, 2010, 11:51:20 AM
You mean the hidden/potted Valve Simulator module?
I'll check, I had it somewhere, but basically they overdrive a FET, to mimic a Tube, and they equalize it a little, not NASA technology here.

No M Fahey, I mean the "sustain" circuit that is built into the IC100s.
(I think you mean the Valve simulator module that was built into the "vs. musician"-model.)
I dont know if it is hidden/potted module or not.
I have never played on an IC100 but I suppose that it is this "sustain" circuit that creates the distortion of this classic amp.
According to some sources the IC100s was the best sounding amp of all the HH models. <3)

Regards.

pecamuzicar

Hi Solid state lovers,

Unfortunately I have not tried HH IC100, just heard many guitarists preferred, but I heard and tried HH VS Musician. Next to many, it was really one of the best sounding guitar amps I am EVER heard and tried - so musical, creamy guitar tone and loud. Both with Gibson Les Paul, or Fender Stratocaster - all just classic.

Those amps are very similar with just difference in valve tone module HH00015A added in VS Musician.

It was very clever to say to add that, because most (tube) amps with recognizable guitar tone has appropriate guitar tone clipping also in output stage. So this module HH00015A have been placed exactly between preamp stage and output to simulate it, with that - solid state output stage was never gone to bad sounding clipping SS mode, than always remained in RMS mode. It was about electronics, then next point is - great HH guitar speakers 2 x 12" built in - excellent combination.

Also one of the best SS amps I am tried is a Peavey very similar (I forgot model name), with added next to other standard controls a small, but very usable parametric equalizer.

Regards

phatt

Hi *Bolan*,
I second Mr Fahey's comments. :tu:

Bare in mind you also may need to insert this booster *After* all those pedals you mentioned and Then into a clean amplifier.
That Sustain channel might get in the way also as it clips the signal so any boost will just slam harder distortion.

For the idea to work you need a clean Amp channel.

FWIW, I've found a lot of Dedicated axe amp designs get in the way of great tone and you maybe better served with a clean SS Amp with little tone or signal modifications.  (hint :tu:)

I use an old 150Watt SS power amp from a factory pa as well as an little known 50 Watt Laney keyboard amp.
an I've never looked back  :dbtu: 8|
Phil.

tracynorton

Quote from: kikey on January 05, 2010, 08:20:59 PM
Hi

I am interested in the sustain circuit in the HH IC100S.
Anyone here know where to find a schematic ??  ???

Thanks,
go to http://www.majelectronic.co.uk/ and ask for it. they only ask for a small fee (literally pennies considering what you're getting)....they do paypal
I sold my 100S and my Burman 2000 to Mark Thwaite (Peter Murphy, Gary Numan, The Mission, etc)...BUT, I have a VS head that I'm refurbing.....another stellar amp imho (my MOSFET Power Baby is my #1)