Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:27:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Newbie...Ampeg B15T

Started by GeezerB, August 21, 2023, 10:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeezerB

I'll definitely check those out... I'm building.  I'm getting to the point that I might be ready for that learning a lot but slowly.   

And, the new Zener diode did the trick!  No more distorted weak output. 

BUT... my fun isnt over yet.  I also have an intermittent cutting out and popping.  I have not found any bad solder joints, nothing looks loose... nothing real obvious yet but I will keep going.   

Any pro tricks for chasing down that bad joint/ground/whatever would cause that?

GeezerB

I Deoxit all outlets and switches, and bypassed the effects loops with cords... still popping and noise. 

I tapped around with a chopstick on the power amp board and that seemed to make the most noise/popping so I will pull that board and look for dry joints/etc. 

Tassieviking

I have always checked my solder joints with a jewelers eye loupe, mine is small and folds into its case.
It is really too small for the job as I have very strong magnification in mine, the bigger the lens the easier it will be, just make sure it has lots of magnification.
Any strong magnifying glass will help, but nothing beats what you see with a strong loupe.

I bought mine on Ebay for less then a cup of coffee and I have used it hundreds of times.

I also have a smaller one with 2 lenses in it but it is simply too small for the job.
Just search for "Jewellers Eye Loupe" and you will find them.

Cheers
Mick

You cannot view this attachment.
There are no stupid questions.
There are only stupid mistakes.

GeezerB

Just bought a loupe... great tip thank you.   I also believe I may have solved my issue! I reflowed all the joints on amp board just in case... and the transistors that were held on by screws I removed and cleaned up the connections.   And cleaned the hell out of the "Mute" switch... could not play too loud last night due to sleeping house but did not hear any popping and sounded good... so I believe my problems were the bad power amp connections combined with the Zener diode in the preamp.   Thanks to the forum... what a feeling.

joecool85

Quote from: GeezerB on August 31, 2023, 12:46:52 PMJust bought a loupe... great tip thank you.   I also believe I may have solved my issue! I reflowed all the joints on amp board just in case... and the transistors that were held on by screws I removed and cleaned up the connections.   And cleaned the hell out of the "Mute" switch... could not play too loud last night due to sleeping house but did not hear any popping and sounded good... so I believe my problems were the bad power amp connections combined with the Zener diode in the preamp.   Thanks to the forum... what a feeling.

Glad to hear you got it fixed up!  I always love a happy ending.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com