Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:09:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Gonna build a 100watt amp.

Started by roast, April 22, 2006, 09:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roast

So, i wanna build a 100watt amp. Its just a simple affair, im ripping the guts out of my 10watter, putting in new electronics, and putting in new electronics. I plan to put a ~70watt speaker into it, and then using the enclosure of another 10 watt amp for a makeshift "cab" to put a 50watt speaker into it. I plan to put in celestions, or peavy speakers. But, i have no idea of what schematic to use. Hopefully one of you can give me a link to a schem, with a parts list, and also where i can buy a ready-etched PCB for it. Im looking for a simple schem, not too hard to build, this is just going to be a learning experience.

^^thats the amplifier im gutting.

joecool85

Well, it won't be plug and play so to speak, but if you are careful, you should be able to use all of your preamp stuff from the old amp (I'm assuming it works), then put in a LM4780 for 100w of power.  You can buy a PCB for that at chipamp.com, but if you wait a little while I might be able to get you one just for the cost of shipping.  Brian is sending me some to distribute here.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

joecool85

thatraymond.com

Stompin_Tom

A couple of other alternatives... I've never tried these and may have, in fact, found the links in the schematics part of this site. Anywho, for what it's worth:

http://europa.spaceports.com/~fishbake/amp/ca100.htm

And this is more of a complete project... I think RDV sent me this one:

http://sound.westhost.com/project27.htm

I haven't tried either, so I can't say how easy they are to get up and running... they seem simple. Chipamp.com is probably the easiest, though.

joecool85

It's definetly going to be easiest to just do it via a kit from chipamp, but just because its easy doesn't mean its the best option.  Now thats not to say that chipamps aren't great, because they are...but they aren't the only way to do a SS power amp.
thatraymond.com

teemuk

I wouldn't trust the "Cheap 100 to 150 Watt Amp" at http://europa.spaceports.com/~fishbake/amp/ca100.htm to work reliably enough. Why:
1. Bias adjust and thermal coupling is done with only 2 x 1N4007 diodes. I sense a serious threat of thermal breakdown. I'd also suspect that the circuit has a high amount of crossover distortion since it has a darlington output.
2. High supply voltage and only one pair of output transistors. With 150 watts even the maximum ratings of TIP142/147 are way exceeded. For watt ratings such as these i'd recommend at least another pair of output transistors in parallel.

Yeah it's simple and i'm quite sure it would work, but it could destroy itself in a matter of milliseconds as well. With decreased rail voltages, i would trust it to run a maximum of 40W amp or so. With slight modifications to improve stability maybe an amp of 50 to 60 watts. But 100 to 150? No way!!!! The designer has not been on the level with the output transistor specs or demands required for stable enough high power applications. I'd recommend anybody to stay away from this design as it is.

The Rod Elliot's project looks a lot more like a design that i would choose from the two. Actually, i think it could be quite educative for anyone planning to build an high power amp to compare both circuits and find out why the ESP design is so much more complex. Even if they choose to build a chipamp afterwards.

roast

Quote from: joecool85 on April 22, 2006, 09:27:48 PM
Well, it won't be plug and play so to speak, but if you are careful, you should be able to use all of your preamp stuff from the old amp (I'm assuming it works), then put in a LM4780 for 100w of power.  You can buy a PCB for that at chipamp.com, but if you wait a little while I might be able to get you one just for the cost of shipping.  Brian is sending me some to distribute here.

Wow, i would definitly be interested in the PCB, thanks very much!!! :) Can you email me with info to:
born2lose_out2lunch@yahoo.co.uk

roast

BTW, where could i get these components for that^^^? Im a poor guy, little money (only 16...) so i would probably have to buy the components somewher else.

joecool85

The components are part of the kit.  So you'd get the PCB and all components needed to make the power amp, minus heatsink and transformer.  Keep checking the forum, I'll post as soon as the stuff from brian comes in.  Otherwise, you can check out chipamp.com
thatraymond.com

roast

Ill keep checking, im off school at the moment, so i have plenty of time. Thanks a lot man!!

roast

Hi! Ive been gone for 3 weeks, just getting back into the swing of my amp now. I have the whole enclosure ready, the plywood cabs are ready, and theres plenty of space for that PCB on an aluminum enclosure. Unfortunatly, i dont have a camera at the moment, so i cant take pictures.

Joecool85, did you get those chipamp PCB's, im still very interested in getting one! Thanks a lot.

joecool85

Well, the good news is yes, they came in.  The bad news is that they are all gone  :(
thatraymond.com

roast

Aw *s!!t*. Is there any chance that more could come in?

joecool85

Not unless someone else wants to spear head it.  It's a substantial amount of work getting all the kits in, separating out all the parts, ordering missing ones, getting people's money and shipping them out.
thatraymond.com

roast

Ah, okay. Well, im willing to help out with whatever, i have plenty of time at the moment to do some stuff, so if you want, im here to help.