Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:58:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Which replacement power cord?

Started by Snuggles, August 05, 2021, 06:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snuggles

I've lost the power cord to my Marshall JCM 900 100 watt head. On the back of the amp near where I plug the power cord in, it says "120 V    50 - 60 Hz   375 watts." It's 3 pronged going out and 3 pronged going into the wall.   I'm looking to buy a replacement power cord but don't know the correct specs for the power cord.  Would I be OK getting a replacement cord saying its "15 amp"  ?   Thanks in advance for your help!

Enzo

It is just a guitar amp.  Pretty much any IEC power cord will work.  Like the ones for your computer or other modern electronics.

A 15A cord can handle 15 amps at 120v , that is 1800 watts.    WAAAAYYY more than enough for a 375 watt amplifier

Jazz P Bass

Ohms Law
I=P/V
375W /120V = 3.12Amps

What you should look for is a cord that is the proper length for how you plan to use the amp.

At home a 5 or 6 ft cord will be fine.

On a stage you may want a 10 footer.

Snuggles

66cccfff

That'll work well. Actually, any IEC power cables would work equally well for home and information products. Always use cords with a wire gauge of 0.75mm2 or greater(I dunno how much AWGs it equals to ... In my country, we use squared millimeters instead of AWGs to measure wire gauge ) to ensure an abundant supply of current and to eliminate risks of fire.

Enzo

20ga would be fairly light, though plenty for a guitar amp.  18ga would be the very common size, and 16ga would be relatively heavy.  I have no idea what size they are in metric area.   Often, if not usually, the wire gauge is embossed in the vinyl jacket of the cable.

joecool85

Quote from: 66cccfff on August 13, 2021, 11:48:43 PM
That'll work well. Actually, any IEC power cables would work equally well for home and information products. Always use cords with a wire gauge of 0.75mm2 or greater(I dunno how much AWGs it equals to ... In my country, we use squared millimeters instead of AWGs to measure wire gauge ) to ensure an abundant supply of current and to eliminate risks of fire.

0.75mm2 is 18 gauge.  I wouldn't use anything smaller than this either.  At the length most power cables are (3-6' or 1-2M), they can push 15 amps very safely which gives 1,800w at 120v - way more than most of us would ever need!
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

66cccfff

Quote from: Jazz P Bass on August 06, 2021, 12:08:21 AM
Ohms Law
I=P/V
375W /120V = 3.12Amps

What you should look for is a cord that is the proper length for how you plan to use the amp.

At home a 5 or 6 ft cord will be fine.

On a stage you may want a 10 footer.

Also, it's a good choice to get a short power cable and a longer IEC13-to-IEC14 extension cable.

Then you can make sure that the power cable is able to be short enough to eliminate mess in domestic condition and long enough to reach the outlet on the stage.