Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 11:36:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

diy marshall 5010 sugestion?

Started by el nino, September 17, 2012, 07:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

el nino

hello mate, i'm back...
I'm planning to build marshall lead 30 or 5010 from 80's to go with Rod Elliot project 27 pwr amp... Question is
1.is that a good match for blues & rock playing?
2.how to add another switcheable clean or metal? preamp?
3.any sugestion for clean or metal preamp opamp based,because it's hard to get jfet in indonesia
any sugestion will be very helping me,
best regard  Nino
my guitar want's to kill your father

J M Fahey

Hi el nino.
Start by posting the schematics you are referring to, so we know what you are talking about.
Also I can't believe you don't have Fets there.
Post the link of some local supplier to check.
Or, search EBay for one of those Hong Kong sellers and buy 20/50/100  at once, as many as you can.
They are dirt chap, so buy many to justify postage.
Such as:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2N5458-N-Channel-25V-625-mW-FET-Transistor-Lot-of-30-FREE-SHIPPING-/320828970784?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab2e59720
Search for "fet n-channel"

Roly

Link to project 27

Unless somebody pops up who has actually built and gigged one of these it's a bit hard to know what to tell you.  As a tech I think very highly of Rod's skills; I like the design concepts he has used, in particular current feedback to get a more valve/tube sound, passive Fender-style tonestack instead of the active Baxandal which is common in solid-state designs but is more suited to reproduction amps than guitar amps.

The design is very complete and you can even buy PCB's from him to make construction even easier.

Adding another preamp, or even two, alongside Rod's design would be very simple using a selector switch just ahead of the "Pre Out" socket.  The power supply would have ample reserve to run another preamp or two.

There are many designs for preamps on the net, and part of the interest in building your own is to try different designs and see how they work for you.  As for JFET's, there are many suppliers in Asia and Australia who will supply JFET's by mail order; in Australia there are Jaycar, Altronics, Oatley, and Wiltronics just to name a few.

As Rod himself says in the project;

"I suggest that you try it "as is" before making any changes."

An important influence on the final sound is the speaker selected, particularly the cabinet - open backed for rock and roll and sealed for cleaner jazz-like playing.
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

el nino

@mr. Fahey & mr. Roly
this is the plan sir, marshall 5010 as dist. Channel & valvestate 8080 for clean channel to efect loop then the nice design of esp p27 power amp, powering with -+15v for preamp and -+35v from 25-0-25 3ampere is that good enough sir?
Btw thanks 4 the link sir, the problem is i'm fired from my job because my boss don't like her daughter have relationship with me & my bank acount is closed now, so i cant shop online for now & i just can to buy component from my local radioshack ;-)

sowhat

Quote from: Roly on September 17, 2012, 10:03:40 AM
Link to project 27

Unless somebody pops up who has actually built and gigged one of these it's a bit hard to know what to tell you.  As a tech I think very highly of Rod's skills; I like the design concepts he has used, in particular current feedback to get a more valve/tube sound, passive Fender-style tonestack instead of the active Baxandal which is common in solid-state designs but is more suited to reproduction amps than guitar amps.

The design is very complete and you can even buy PCB's from him to make construction even easier.

Adding another preamp, or even two, alongside Rod's design would be very simple using a selector switch just ahead of the "Pre Out" socket.  The power supply would have ample reserve to run another preamp or two.

There are many designs for preamps on the net, and part of the interest in building your own is to try different designs and see how they work for you.  As for JFET's, there are many suppliers in Asia and Australia who will supply JFET's by mail order; in Australia there are Jaycar, Altronics, Oatley, and Wiltronics just to name a few.

As Rod himself says in the project;

"I suggest that you try it "as is" before making any changes."

An important influence on the final sound is the speaker selected, particularly the cabinet - open backed for rock and roll and sealed for cleaner jazz-like playing.

I have built and used Rods designs and think they are simply fantastic! I currently use a P27A/B with slight modifications:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq6Ea84t538

This amp blows away anything I have ever used before and amazes fellow musicians when I tell them it's solid state. I typically use it with a single 12" in an open iso-cabinet (demeter style) but also use it with some 4x10's and 4x12's. The sound and raw power are awesome.

I'm currently designing a nice 500 watt bass amp using his P68 and P27B boards, this one should raise the roof... at least that's what Rod tells me.

sowhat

Here's my current design for the 500 watt bass amp I mentioned in my previous post. Like to get it all down in the computer before hacking things together.

https://picasaweb.google.com/106263582096865602887/SanAntonio?authkey=Gv1sRgCMPy5OnBx-WqMQ#5789297530033024290

Roly

...and there you go, the voice of experience.

{Well of course she didn't want you messing with her daughter - you're a musician::)  There is a saying "you never get your meat and potatoes in the same shop", and now you know why.   :-X }
If you say theory and practice don't agree you haven't applied enough theory.

el nino

Quote from: sowhat on September 17, 2012, 07:56:42 PM
Here's my current design for the 500 watt bass amp I mentioned in my previous post. Like to get it all down in the computer before hacking things together.

https://picasaweb.google.com/106263582096865602887/SanAntonio?authkey=Gv1sRgCMPy5OnBx-WqMQ#5789297530033024290
that's awesome man!!!
I think i will consider p27  preamp but the pwr amp is nice design Thank's for sharing

el nino

Quote from: Roly on September 17, 2012, 11:36:51 PM
...and there you go, the voice of experience.

{Well of course she didn't want you messing with her daughter - you're a musician::)  There is a saying "you never get your meat and potatoes in the same shop", and now you know why.   :-X }
you absolutely right sir,
musician rule #1 never mess with your boss daughter, it may cause FIRE!!! ;-)

J M Fahey

Hi el nino.
Skip the 8080 preamp, it's not cleaner than the 5010 one.
Make 2 5010 preamps, simply use one clean and one overdriven.
That way you design only 1 preamp PCB.
Only change is that to make it easier getting cleans, you should use a 22k LOG or AUDIO type pot for the clean channel volume ... and of course you don't set it on 10 !!!!!
The power amp is fine.
You'll also need to design some switching, but a DPDT relay makes things easier.
One section switches preamp outputs, the other shorts the unused channel internal audio path to ground, to avoid parasitic coupling.
It's annoying to have a clean sound and hear a weak distorted signal in the background.

el nino

Quote from: J M Fahey on September 18, 2012, 01:09:14 AM
Hi el nino.
Skip the 8080 preamp, it's not cleaner than the 5010 one.
Make 2 5010 preamps, simply use one clean and one overdriven.
That way you design only 1 preamp PCB.
Only change is that to make it easier getting cleans, you should use a 22k LOG or AUDIO type pot for the clean channel volume ... and of course you don't set it on 10 !!!!!
The power amp is fine.
You'll also need to design some switching, but a DPDT relay makes things easier.
One section switches preamp outputs, the other shorts the unused channel internal audio path to ground, to avoid parasitic coupling.
It's annoying to have a clean sound and hear a weak distorted signal in the background.
if you don't mine, would you draw a schematic sir? That's very helping a lot
thank's & regard

el nino

hey...
Just an update,
this is a hand drawing marshall lead 30 preamp pcb layout
sory for the poor scan, maybe someone with keener eyes can see any mistake?

Cheers

J M Fahey

*Looks* good, but you'll have to re-re-re-re-check it yourself.
Now draw a schematic, *only* looking at the PCB layout, another way to catch errors.
Why don't you use some kind of PCB drawing software?
Makes it easier to correct>correct>correct without redrawing everything by hand.
Check free Express PCB.
Worst case, you treat it exactly the same as pen and paper, but easier to erase and redraw.
In the end, you print it and if you wish, retrace and embellish it by hand, with black drawing ink.
But so far looks good. :tu:
May be missing something, of course.

el nino

hello masters... Just a litlle update
my preamp Pcb is done & it's been laying in my bench
but soon when i have a time i'll finish it & post the result here
thanks for reading...

J M Fahey