Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 03:58:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Help! 85W RMS Peavey Standard 260H, could it blow a 120W Cab?

Started by SonexReducer, May 18, 2013, 04:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonexReducer

I just scored a sweet Peavey Standard 260H Head with a master volume and reverb and I'm looking to run it at 8ohms to produce 85W RMS.  I understand it could peak up to twice that in some instances.  I'm about to pick up an Avitar 2x12 Cabinet with 2 60W Celestion Vintage 30's in it, and really need to know if I have anything to worry about.  Heres the info on the amp http://www.peavey.com/assets/literature/manuals/standard.pdf

Not that I will, but if I were to just max that master volume running at 85W RMS, should I be sweating it?  I also posted this question on another forum, but I'm getting conflicting insight as to what may happen.

Thanks.

J M Fahey

The Vintage 30 actually stand up to 80W RMS and the ones custom made for Mesa Boogie (slightly longer Voice Coil winding) up to 90W RMS but they don't "officially" spec that because then musicians will use them with 80/90W amps, overdrive, burn them and complain.

So yes, 2 x V30 will stand your amp with no problem.
Per your description I guess they are 16 ohms each and the cabinet is 8 ohms total.

SonexReducer

Thanks so much.  Your reply was just what I needed to hear.  Just brought the cab home and it's nice!  Feels real solid and hasn't even seen daylight.  It will finally get it's chance to meet the world :dbtu: 

J M Fahey

QuoteThanks so much.  Your reply was just what I needed to hear.

Don't worry, my "other Job" is being a Politician  :lmao: