Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:27:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Guitar Amp Build

Started by GibsonLesHarry, October 12, 2010, 12:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GibsonLesHarry

Hi, just saying Hi, i'm new on the forum  8)

I'm currently working on my first Amp project, but I need a little help as I seem to have confused myself.
I don't know if anyone has heard of the VOX AmPlug series of Mini amplifiers, but I had one of these, but sadly it broke. I Soldered the broken components back on, but the case is beyond repair. So my aim is to build this amp as a Pre-Amp, and then have my Amplug permanently built into this. Does anybody have any idea how i'll go about doing this? Also i've got my speakers/circuit board and so on, but I am told i Need a Transformer? I'm slightly lost here also.

Thanks,
          Harry :tu:

GibsonLesHarry

Heres a pic of my progress so far. (its a 12 inch speaker)

J M Fahey

Nice idea, but can't talk because of lack of the circuit.
Post a couple good, sharp, well illuminated pictures of both sides of the board (plus any other you consider important) to have an idea as to what you have there.
The basic idea would be building some chipamp (1W to 100W) and pulling from it the 9V I think your amplug needs.
Is it a preamp only or it also drives headphones?

GibsonLesHarry

Hi, thanks for the reply. I will upload some photos soon.

+ the amPlug is battery powered, but i'm now worried about the power source as i have reachageables. The amplug is a portable headphone amp which has the capability of being plugged into speakers through a 3.5mm line. But instead of plugging this straight into my guitar, i want to have it built into my big preamp, and connect via a standard 1/4 inch jack.

GibsonLesHarry

*not worried, sorry my error.

J M Fahey

Well, then, I think you will be able to use it as a preamp.
If it sounds good through headphones, it will sound even better driving a 50W chipamp and a real speaker in a real cabinet.
Does it sound good on its own?
Getting ¿9V?) for it will not be a big deal, specially because if used as a preamp its current consumption will be relatively low.

GibsonLesHarry

Forget that, turns out my amPlug is Fubar'd. I'm just gonna go full whack and just build it as a normal amp. + I got A Kenwood 6" Speaker on either to add to my big 12" in the centre  :tu:

J M Fahey

Ok.
Anyway, if possible, post a couple pictures of its guts, both sides.
Nobody ever posted anything about them, they are sort of a mystery.
Thanks.