Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:44:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Modding Laney LX12 amp

Started by whiskeytown, April 16, 2012, 05:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whiskeytown

Just got Laney LX12 practice amp, and clean sound is pretty decent but crunch chanel sounds really harsh and fizzy, need to keep treble and middle on zero to achieve some decent overdrive. Any suggestions how to tame that pierceing overdrive, I tried to swap 1n914 diods for LEds but not much diference. Maybe to put some capacitors over treble and middle pots? I will attach gut shots of the amp soon. Cheers :)

mexicanyella

I'm an electronics noob, but before you start surgery, have you tried reducing the input gain and cranking the output gain? And bringing all the EQ settings down/making the gain up at the output/post gain stage? That can reduce harsh fizziness and push the speaker harder...won't get you metal-type gain, but sometimes practice amps can sound pretty cool like that anyway.

J M Fahey

Small practice amps often sound weak and fizzy because ... they *are* very small.
Specifically small open back cabinets, cheap light speakers, etc. don't help.
Using them at home at low volume as not to bother others even less.
Ask Laney for its schematic and post it here, to be able to suggest some mods.
Otherwise it's impossible.
As a side note: ZZTop recording amp of choice is a Marshall Lead 12.
Yes, a 12W SS practice amp !!!!
But .... they use it full tilt plugged into a Marshall 4x12" cabinet !!!
KILLER sound.
What I mean is that small practice amps usually are much better than what it looks, only they deserve a *real* speaker.
Go and get that schematic. Good luck.