Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:11:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Tino Zottola Tube amp book

Started by No6h, September 30, 2015, 12:00:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No6h

I discovered the book by Tino Zottola on tube amps, looked for it on Amazon, and discovered extremely ridiculous prices of over 2,700 USD? can anyone explain this? thanks  :cheesy:

DrGonz78

There is a sucker born every minute.
"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein

No6h

Enzo

Since the guy has a number of other tube amp books out for much lower prices, and a look inside it on the Amazon page shows it to be very conventional basic material, my first guess is a typo.  You might contact Amazon to verify that is the true price.

No6h

A lot of other websites are stating the same information. Have you read the book? is it useful? I'm trying to find a legible schematic for a Vox AC15 top boost, which is proving quite difficult, and I read somewhere this book has one in it.

g1

The typo is probably in the decimal place.  So more like $27.00
Amazon Canada has the same book for $34.99CDN, which would be about right with the  $exchange.  http://www.amazon.ca/Vacuum-Tube-Guitar-Amplifier-Servicing/dp/0933224974/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443660566&sr=8-1&keywords=tino+zottola
Same price at barnes & noble.
Which AC15 top boost do you mean, the re-issue?

J M Fahey

Quote from: No6h on September 30, 2015, 12:00:39 AM
I discovered the book by Tino Zottola on tube amps, looked for it on Amazon, and discovered extremely ridiculous prices of over 2,700 USD? can anyone explain this? thanks  :cheesy:
I wouldn't think that's the price even for a millisecond.
Clearly a typo.

Now it would be funny if the online selling software had that price loaded and swiped U$2700 from your credit card balance  :lmao:

EDIT: just checked :  it's a *used*  book price, meaning that it has no reference price, not even the original Publishing house price list, because on used stuff you ask what you want, and Amazon software does not check it, just posts what you type.

prices higher than "new" are common, say U$63 for a 1975 copy of Jack Darr's book (which should go for U$25/35 new)  , simply because it's sought after yet out of print.

But U$2700 is crazy.

I bet there is some special page for sellers to offer their stuff on Amazon, similar to EBay, and of course sellers type what they want, Amazon just provides the platform.

Of course, applying US Stock Market logic, I'll happily pay U$2700 for it, hoping to sell it for U$3300 in the future.

Hey!!! I watch all "Smart Investor" shows on FOX, hosted by Trump Maddox & Stewart Financial, what could go wrong?  8|

No6h

No, just trying to find a legible Top Boost AC15 schematic from the 60's, I had heard that was a great source. Oh well.

J M Fahey

Weird.
Do you own one?
If so, armed with an unreadable print (justa s a rough road map), good light, reading glasses, pencil and paper I bet you can draw a correct one in a couple hours.

And then post it here ;)

EDIT: just browsed and compared a couple schematics.
IF Top Boost was an add-on for the AC30, including its own sub chassis, and schematic shows how to add it to an existing amp, don't understand why exact same thing could not be made to a regular AC15  .
Can't imagine why would they do otherwise.

Loudthud

If there is an official AC15 Top Boost schematic, I don't think it came from JMI. Perhaps there is a re-issue or something more contemporary. Here is a link to a thread on MEF where dchange0 cleaned up an AC15 schematic.

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t39856/

No6h