Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:51:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Great Forum !

Started by Tennerondack, September 08, 2018, 01:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tennerondack

Hey yall Happy to find this place ?

What brings me here is my old Fender M-80 bass combo. It's not the greatest amp ever but seems worth saving.
My main question is : Is it possible to tweek the EQ section to dial back the baked in mid forward sound this amp has ? I have to dial it way back and turn the bass way up to get a fatter, more traditional old school tone ?
Thanks for your help !

Enzo

Before going that route, I suggest you connect the amp to different speaker cabs, and even try different speakers in teh amp itself.  NOTHING has more effect on the sound of an amp than the speaker.

Tennerondack

I have connected it to other speakers, even though it was an improvement owing to the larger cabinet, the nature of the tone still lacked girth.
The inside of the combo itself has no dampening material, might this make a difference ?

I am interested in the idea of the possibility of altering tone controls, just in general.
I know I can't expect miracles, just curious if such a thing is doable.

I have had other ss amps that could be fat and warm, what makes the difference ?

Thanks for the help !