Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:26:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

crate gt-3500H fx-loop

Started by zebric, July 21, 2009, 07:16:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zebric

hi there! i have a problem with my new amp head...crate gt-3500h shockwave..it says to have an fx-loop...well i see a line in/out that it was supposed to work as an fx-loop...as i read to manual these jacks have double duties...line in bypasses the preamp stage of the head and the line out is for post eq...both combined should work as an fx-loop i guess...but i dont see that...when i plug my boss ns-2 i can only hear a clean sound (the amp bypassed its preamp stage)...i wonder if the problem remains and with rack effect units...any ideas to make things happen? thx!

joecool85

Have you tried running your effects pedal just through the regular guitar in jack?  If so, how does that work for you?  I don't have a lot of experience with effects loops, so I can't give you much help there, just want to make sure your pedal works as you are anticipating it should.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

teemuk

I don't quite figure out how the condition you describe could even happen.

Page 7 of the manual shows how the things are wired: Line out jack is always connected to the output of the preamp. That little arrow going from that jack to the Line In jack indicates a switch that will open once a plug is inserted to the Line in jack, effectively this will disconnect the signal feed coming from the preamp. If you have an effect in between the jacks you form an FX loop where the preamp signal loops through the effects to the line in jack.

So, Line Out jack should be feeding the NS-2 with the preamp's normal output signal no matter what. If the jack had failed you simply would have no signal at all. Failure of the jack's switch could not disturb the operation of the effect loop, it could only mute the preamp completely (and that only when the FX loop is not used). A broken Line In jack would result either into hearing direct, normal preamp signal or no signal at all.

What you describe is none of these scenarios.

So.... are you 100% sure that your wiring is correct and that the wires are ok?

Have you arranged the wiring this way:
Guitar to Amp's Input, Line Out to NS-2 Input, NS-2 Output to Line In

zebric

and how the ns-2 will operate without connecting anything to its input??

teemuk

Enzo

zebric

well thx..now the noise gate works!! when i have time i will fine tune it to my amp needs...thx again for helping a noobie...
it may be off-topic but whats your opinion about my amp?  i matched it with an epiphone so cal 4x12 cabinet with eminence and the amp seems to have a lot more to give with a better cab...

teemuk

No personal experience with it but many Crate designs that are similar to models like G130CXL, GX130C, GX140C, and Ampeg's VH140C have a great overdrive for death metal and alike. They are good amps.