Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 03:52:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Question about replacing fuse in Fender Frontman 15g

Started by Hellion102792, February 23, 2008, 02:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hellion102792

Hey guys, I'll start off by saying I know very little about electronics, schematics, etc (which is why I applied for the electronics program at the vo-tech center at my high school).  I own a Frontman 15g which I blew the fuse in when I was jamming with my friend a few weeks back.  My dad took the fuse out for me and I bought a replacement today: it's a Bussmann 1 amp for use in circuits up to 250 volts to 3 amps or 125 volts to 5 and 6 amps.  In the other 15g threads here I saw that the fuses most people were blowing were 500mA and the lady at Home Depot recommended that too but 1 was the lowest they had.  Would I ruin my amp if I put a 1A fuse into it?  I know its a POS amp but if I ruin it I don't have the money for a new one and I'm trying to save for a Gibson SG to replace my Squier Affinity Strat (hey, the guitar and amp make a good pair... they both suck).  Thanks in advance.

teemuk

That amp uses a standard (type F) 250 mA fuse for 220 - 240V mains voltage or a standard 500 mA for 100 – 120 V mains. Do not under any circumstance replace it with a higher value! Yes, there's a good chance that you ruin your amp by replacing the fuse with a higher value one. It's even a safety issue! (They don't just arbitrarily use any fuse rating they happen to have in hand. That current rating actually means something).

Fuses do "age", which sometimes causes them to trip for no particular reason (this is very rare but it does happen). However, if the (right value) replacement fuse also blows then do not replace it again: This is an indication of a fault that you need to fix first. Just fitting in a new fuse after another does not mysteriously fix your amp and each powering up will allow the fault to do more damage during the time the fuses needs to burn open.

Hellion102792

Ah, ok thanks.  I just got a used Marshall MG Series 30DFX (out of the blue too! I was in Guitar Center trying out which SG I'm gonna save for, and my dad had me try out the amp shortly before saying "You know what?  You need a new amp anyway and for the price and condition this thing is a steal.") for only $150 so I'm using that now.  I'm selling the Fender on eBay for around $50+, but I'll replace the right fuse and try it a couple times first.  Good thing I found this forum, I was inches away from closing the back of the amp when I said "Hmm, maybe I should look this up first before I blow this out..."