Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:16:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

little rebel layout

Started by obelix, August 28, 2007, 05:20:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

momo

OK I got it! all I had to do was to flip the chip legs upsidedown!...Ya its workin alright, its got tons of volume( I used a 250 K pot, did not have a 200K, maybe it would have less volume.
Anyhow, here are some pics of the setup, I originally wanted to incorporate it in the black box you see above, but now, as you see in the pics, this will be a combo talkbox and an option to use the amp and plug an exterior spkr. Its a bit too loud for the Yamaha keyboard 3W spkr so Ill have to be careful with the talkbox. Oh and it drives the above 10 inch speaker hard, ill have to check later for tone with the enclosure.
Ill report back when its all finished.

Jaxon

Glad you got that sorted out.  :)  I think I'll give this one a try.

What exactly did you mean when you said 'flip the chip legs upsidedown' ?

momo

OK, well here is a service to anyone wanting to do this build......I found out the hard way that the pdf etching image is mirrored, or flipped if you will.What happends with that is when you are populating the board, you have to flip it constantly to match the flipped image.
Now worst that that, once you have the whole thing populated and and soldered the chip sockets in place...only then you realize that the chips are reversed, if you don't want to solder the actual chips on the backside(trace side) of the board not using the sockets on the other side!.....is to flip the chip legs so that the chips are reversed.
Then you will be able to put them in da sockets.
I hope this is clear, the PDF file has the image flipped on the x axis, you need to 'mirror' the image before printing the etching image. That will save you some post populating stress/climax killer!
This file has been available for years now, so either no one built this thing or no one is talkin!
I actually think now that it was done on purpose years ago by the author to force us in buying the actual amp......in those days, DIY was a bit marginal and so I think that it protected his "market"!...then again, why post the shem and layout if you don't want people to use it!

Jaxon

Yeah, now that I'm considering this amp, I was looking over the pdf and noticed the image was reversed left to right. I haven't done any board etching yet, but I have looked into it and the image is usually backwards. I see the image/mask is oriented as a finished board would normally look.

I'm still not sure what you mean when you say flipped. Are you simply turning the chip or are you bending the legs the other way?

This will be my first SS project so I'm wondering what type of components to order. It looks like what I would normally use in a tube amp would be overkill (and expensive  :loco ) for such low voltages.

Also, would running this a 12V cause any problems?

momo

Sorry for the long wait ::)
I bended the legs the other way!
It can take 12V and thats what im doing, the components for this are the same as almost all  stompboxes, dont have the same voltage ratings as the components used in tube amps.

I will build this one again but with a thicker copper trace, it does have high gain and my board is very thin....