Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 01, 2024, 09:13:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Help modding SS amp. MG15

Started by THChrist, February 03, 2009, 06:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THChrist

Hi everyone. Well, here's the thing. I Have this small amp, a Marshall MG15CDR which i like. It has a unique sound (i used to have a MG15DFX, and couldn't stand its sound) but the "Line Out/CD In" jack is freakin' me out. When i plug a tuner, it works as Line Out. When i plug my Mp3, it's CD In. When I plug a cable to the PC it's Line Out, to the Laptop it's CD In. To another amp it's Line Out, but to a Cab-Simulator it's CD In. I can't stand that anymore. I don't care for the CD In, I never use it anyway, but i want the "Line Out/CD In" to be just "Line Out". Do I need to replace some resistors? anything?
Please, help me..

Teemu?

J M Fahey

Dear THChrist.
Your posting was very opportune for me: a client came to buy one of my 100 W Bass heads, and asked me to repair his MG15 DFX (the same as yours but with digital effects) , which had an unusable line out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Incredible). I talked him about you, he was very surprised and thought I was joking. He kept repeating as a Mantra: "It can´t be a coincidence" ..."It can´t be a coincidence" ....... etc. etc.
The sad fact is, nothing can be done there: that In/Out is part of a very poor passive (resistive) mixer. In practical terms, touching anything there will mean losing the reverb . My last ditch solution was to drill a neat hole in the back panel and install a jack that sent out the speaker signal, attenuated 10/1 by a 10k resistor from the "hot" speaker terminal (I just soldered it to the red speaker cable) to the jack´s hot terminal and a 1 k resistor from the jack´s hot to ground, plus a black cable from the jack´s ground to the power supply ground. I used a plastic insulated jack, similar to the other ones; it worked like a charm.
I liked the amp very much, it was loud for its 15 watts, the speaker was very good, and the distortion became wall-shaking when the new line-out went into the line-in of my 100 W amp, which was driving a 2x12" cabinet.
If it´s not clear to you, I may post a simple drawing.
Pictures: impossible, my client run home with everything to disturb HIS neighbours.
Bye.
JM.

THChrist

i think that's the only fault of that amp. everybody at ultimate-guitar hates the whole series, but i like its crunch. i play rock/metal and it works perfectly for me.

I'd love to see a drawing or something