Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 01:32:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Looking for a good replacement speaker.

Started by jellisma, June 02, 2008, 07:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jellisma

My Polytone V 15" speaker blew, so I'm looking for a replacement. I'm not sure whether to order one from Polytone or not. Maybe there are better options. Any advice?

joecool85

I'd check out replacement speakers at musiciansfriend.com and partsexpress.com, they both have good deals on quality guitar speakers.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

wildschwein

Apparently, if you change out the speakers to a different type on Polytones they no longer sound like Polytones - this can be a good thing though. If you don't want to change out then order a replacement from Polytone. Pretty sure that most of the recent Polytones ran at 4 ohms (don't quote me on it though), so it's worth considering that when looking around for a new driver if you go down that road. I have a thing for Eminence Deltas in guitar amps, these are high wattage mid/bass drivers usually for pa/bass applications and they have huge projection and minimal cone break up. They make them in a 15" but not sure if you can get them in 4 ohms though.

J M Fahey

Polytone speakers *are* OEM Eminence; find a small white label that´s usually glued to the magnet ring itself (not the Polytone label), with around 10 digits and often a barcode: that´s the Eminence "part number"; e-mail them and ask for a close modern equivalent. Most of their classic OEM speakers are now sold to the public under the "Legend Series" label, browse through their online catalog and you´ll find your answer. That´s provided that you want the original sound. Bye.