Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:32:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Texas tone made simple

Started by phatt, October 24, 2019, 12:23:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phatt

Hi all,
I've been messing with this for a few years so thought I'd show folks this simple trick.
If you are lucky enough to own an old BF Fender or similar Valve amp from that era this may help. This is unlikely to work with a lot of amplifiers made now days (both SS and Glass) but I have had some success with my all SS setup,,so some experimentation may be required to work with your particular SS setup.

The Video should be fairly clear for those who understand the basics of how tone is created.

Note the audio circuitry in my little camera compresses quite hard so you won't hear just how much the bass splatters when the trick is bypassed at high volume,
When engaged you will loose perceived power but the whole point of doing this is to get the amp running at full volume without the bass splattering, read clean headroom. 8|
With those old amps the bass is big and sounds full at low volume but the bass collapses with many of those old valve circuits if you try to get to full volume,
Even worse if you have overwound PU's. xP

So here is what just one small cap can do when used in the right place.
Keep in mind this is all done on the cheap,,So no Tx special pu's and the small amp is old valve radio junk.
the pu's in this guitar are 4k ceramic (read,, about as cheap a copy strat as you can buy)

Enjoy, Phil
https://youtu.be/mWI45ng1SIY

galaxiex

Awesome!

Excellent info and playing!  8) 8) 8)

Thanks very much for sharing!  <3) <3) <3)

:dbtu: :dbtu: :dbtu:
If it ain't broke I'll fix it until it is.

LarryN13

Am I correct in seeing this as a
105 nanofarad cap in series at the input?

joecool85

Quote from: LarryN13 on April 17, 2020, 05:00:27 PM
Am I correct in seeing this as a
105 nanofarad cap in series at the input?

1n5 is what I thought I saw.  Meaning, 1.5nF.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

phatt

Yes 1n5,, 1.5nF,, 1,500pF all the same thing.
Sometimes also written as .0015uF

Depending how much Bass your particular Amplifier has you can tweak the Cap value to taste.
Phil.