Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

May 18, 2024, 05:13:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Peavey Bandit 65 transformer

Started by mr.death, May 17, 2024, 05:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr.death

Hi, Recently I was given an old peavey bandit 65 amp with issues. I replaced the old electrolytics and in the process some solder dripped across the board bridging some traces. I turned the amp on not knowing and fried the transformer as a result. I need a replacement transformer but am having a hard time finding one thats not bloody expensive. What criteria needs to be met when looking for a new transformer? Can I buy not peavey branded, generic? The part number for the fried part is 70518713.
Thanks

mr.death

Yeah, expensive. Looking to do this on the cheap. Makes no sense to add a hundred dollar part to a 50 dollar amp.

g1

The value of the amp has nothing to do with what parts cost.
If you can get another bandit 65 for 50 bucks, buy it and use it for parts.  You probably won't find an adequate transformer for that price.
Sorry if that sounds harsh, but that is the reality of parts costs.

You need a power transformer that puts out 60V center-tapped (30-0-30) good for at least 120VA.  If it's not the exact peavey unit, you will have to drill and cut to make it physically fit the chassis.