Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:29:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Peavey basic 50 weird sound

Started by Fossilshark, February 05, 2017, 03:03:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fossilshark

My peavey basic 50 was working perfectly until i decided to turn the preamp out/power in jack into a speaker out to use with my speaker cab. I have the original jack plugged into the board (so the preamp is still connected to the power amp, i was lazy) and a new jack with the speaker output connected. The amp at first was really quiet now it just makes a wicked loud buzz. The original speaker impedance was 8 ohms and my speaker cab has a DC resistance of 9 ohms (i dont know the impedance im assuming its 8 ohms)

Vitrolin

your preamp will not drive a speeaker, that is the power amps job.
the jack you used is like a fx loop

J M Fahey

Quote from: Fossilshark on February 05, 2017, 03:03:15 AM
My peavey basic 50 was working perfectly until i decided to turn the preamp out/power in jack into a speaker out to use with my speaker cab. I have the original jack plugged into the board (so the preamp is still connected to the power amp, i was lazy) and a new jack with the speaker output connected. The amp at first was really quiet now it just makes a wicked loud buzz. The original speaker impedance was 8 ohms and my speaker cab has a DC resistance of 9 ohms (i dont know the impedance im assuming its 8 ohms)
Something does not add up, you seem to mix jack and plug which are different parts.
Jacks are female and thus do not plug into anything, that´s what plugs do.
So rewrite your post which so far is confusing.
In any case I think you somehow connected speaker out into preamp out and/or power amp in, both a big no-no, and you blew one or both.
Disconnect yoour speaker until further instructions because you will also blow it.
If possible, draw a diagram or what you did, maybe some picture too.