Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:19:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Broken Knob! Serious issue!

Started by DizzyThermal, November 25, 2007, 09:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DizzyThermal

One of the knobs on my amp is broken and it's not just the plastic, it's actually the metal as well.  I think this is the cause to my random volume spikes on the amp.  How can I disable this knob or at least turn it down to 0 so it doesn't affect my normal sound?  Thanks  Here are some pictures of the amp itself.  It has random spikes of volume.  I was told to try to turn the knobs to extremes to clean the pots.  Any help on the knob though? :)  Greatly appreciated!

Pictures: Link

joecool85

The pictures don't load, it tells me I don't have permission to view them.
Life is what you make it.
Still rockin' the Dean Markley K-20X
thatraymond.com

LJ King

"Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /fender/f1.jpg on this server."

Same here.

teemuk

Never mind the pictures. So, just to be certain, we are speaking about peaks in volume levels not about random loud amplitude "click" and "pop" sounds? (Failing capacitors causes these not potentiometers). I didn't quite recognize the problem from your description but I concluded it likely must be one of these:

1. A dirty potentiometer.
While adjusting makes "crackling", scratchy sound that sometimes may be quite high in amplitude. In some parts of the dial the volume level may cut out completely or be significantly weaker. The potentiometer is dirty or worn out. "Wiggling" the potentiometer from "0" to "10" a few times will sometimes momentarily clean the resistive track but usually the problem comes back in a day or two. You can try cleaning with a proper substance: You must spray it inside the potentiometer (this sometimes means that you must remove its metal casing), then "wiggle" the control. If it doesn't help you need to change the potentiometer. Usually changing is the best bet anyway. Note: Depending on the level of dirt/corrosion, a dirty potentiometer usually "works" but adjusting it just causes scractchy noises or "muffled" sounds at some parts of the dial. Sometimes symptoms can be similar as in case #2, especially if the pot is extremely dirty or worn out. If so, change the potentiometer.

2. Broken solder joints or a physically damaged potentiometer (your description sounded more like this).
The potentiometer works "uncertainly"; sometimes it doesn't seem to control volume at all, sometimes it pushes volume to "10" instantly etc. Adjusting the control may cause scratchy noises or loud "pops". Sometimes the volume may instantly pump up to a different level without even touching the control or you may experience "fading" in volume levels etc. In a nutshell, the control just seems to work very irregularly and touching it typically has a drastic effect on volume levels (while in case #1 the effects are typically "milder"). Fixing is easy: Renew the solder joints and if potentiometer is physically damaged change it.

Bypassing doesn't make any sense to me. You should be able to fix the thing with same effort you spend to figuring out and building a bypassing scheme.

Edit: Oh yeah, it would be quite helpful to know what amp you have and what particular potentiometer is broken.

DizzyThermal

Read what you guys have said, I fixed the pictures, just click this link, made a page with them on it.  Site probably doesn't let you actually view the pictures.

Pictures: Link

Anyway, I'm afraid the knob was broken when it was on 10 or a high number like that.  The amp doesn't sound nice, which it should...

Fender Pro 185

:)  Thanks in advance!

DizzyThermal

Quote from: teemuk on November 26, 2007, 12:20:04 PM
Never mind the pictures. So, just...

Yes, it will go loud for a short time and I can play at that loud volume...  I will turn it down a bit because it's to loud, then it clicks back into place and it's too soft to even hear it... :(

teemuk

Looks like the potentiometer is definitely a FUBAR. Just change it or take the amp to someone who does it for you.

LJ King

Quote from: teemuk on November 26, 2007, 12:20:04 PM
Never mind the pictures.

There is an old saying: "one picture is worth a thousand words".

:)

teemuk

Yep, seeing the pictures would have saved the time from typing anything other than the obvious: :)

QuoteRenew the solder joints and if potentiometer is physically damaged change it.

DizzyThermal