Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

April 30, 2024, 02:32:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Fender Reverb head - Jack replacement

Started by Jesterminute, January 15, 2016, 07:41:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesterminute

Hi, this is my first time posting and I'm new here.  Thanks in advance for any help/ advice you can give me.

I have a Fender Reverb amp head- used- and the jack needs replaced.  I first thought this as the guitar lead doesn't click into place. It seems from opening the head up that the jack is missing one or two grips to keep the lead in place.  If you push the lead to the side, the amp makes a hideous sharp piercing noise and crackles (not feedback),

The jack is connected to the circuit board not by a wire; sort of small  metal dots poking through the circuit board. 

Would this be a pain to do myself? 

Any advice on what to do would be welcomed.  I've attached a picture. 

Cheers guys.

Enzo

Wow, I have never seen a Fender Reverb Amp model.   The jack appears to be the common plastic type Fender used for years.   Is the jack black plastic with a clear plastic top, so you can see inside it?  Like this part:
https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/S-H506

To replace, we take off the knobs, then remove all the nuts on the control shafts and jacks, and I cannot see, but probably also a screw beside those audio in jacks.  That frees the board from the front panel.  There may be some screws inside or plastic posts, that hold the board.

Once the board is free, we flip it over and remove the solder on the jack pins, and take out the old jack.  The new jack is placed in the holes, and soldered.  Then the board is installed back into the amp.

If you are not skilled enough to remove and replace soldered parts on a circuit board, then you will need to find someone who is.

Jesterminute

Thanks for your reply Enzo, I appreciate your help!
The jack is a black plastic box, however you can't see inside it from the top;  can slightly peek in through the back.  I'll have to check with the circuit board to see if the jack is the same as your link.  I'm not sure how many pins there are.

I've never soldered before, however I think I may give it a go!  I'll open it up again today and send a picture. 

Perhaps not too difficult a job right? 

Enzo

Not difficult for me, it depends on how skillfully you can do the solder work.

There are other similar jacks that Fender used, I linked to just one common type.  A photo will help.  I checked my files, I have no information on that particular model.

J M Fahey

Is that a Made in Japan Fender?

Please check the back panel, construction looks similar to 80's "Squire" or "Sidekick" Japanese Fenders.

In that case, it might not be the ubiquitous modern Fender jack, but what the Japanese used at that time.

In worst case if available jacks do not match the existing PCB holes, a new one may be connected with short wires,

Jesterminute

It is made in Japan J M Fahey.   I live there, I should've said.  Right, so that could change the jack needed. 

Let me get a picture as soon as I can.  Cheers

Jesterminute

Sorry for getting back so late.  Here are some pictures of the inside.  It does seem to be a  Jack - Input, Original Fender® ¼", 4 Pin, Mono as you posted J M.    Don't you think?

Jesterminute

Sorry Enzo, you posted that link*  What do you think of the likely hood of it being the same as the jack I have?

M

J M Fahey

Quote from: Jesterminute on March 17, 2016, 08:06:01 AM
Sorry for getting back so late.  Here are some pictures of the inside.  It does seem to be a  Jack - Input, Original Fender® ¼", 4 Pin, Mono as you posted J M.    Don't you think?
Your middle picture showing pinout from the PCB side seems to match perfectly:

image pulled from:
https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/S-H506

Now it's your turn, pull the old caliper out and check those measurements, I trust they will match.

If so, you are done.

Personally, being in Argentina, I wouldn't even bother to order it from USA for purely $$$ reasons.

U$4.95 + shipping would easily reach U$20/25 (Couriers charge so much for moving a small cardboard box from here to there, by plane, don't care if what's inside is worth peanuts) and I'd have to pay fixed 60% on that.

U$ 35/40 for  a plastic jack?  :o  You must be kidding.

Of course, Japan *should*  be way more reasonable.

If not, what I do here is to mount a regular Cliff ("Marshall") type jack (the Chinese knockoff, cost around 40/50 cents) , pins will NOT match so it goes sideways or legs up, and a few short thin wires join PCB holes to proper Jack legs.
Just sayin'  8)

Jesterminute

Excellent.  Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!  I'll give it a measure.

You're right,  seems like a tad bit pricey to have the jack sent from US.  I'll try to figure something out. 

I really do appreciate the help and advice.  I'll be sure to take heed.

J M Fahey

Oh, you still have a few options open:
1) asking is free, maybe it's inexpensive to have it sent by the seller and Japan Customs does not care abut such an unimportant thingy.
2) maybe there is some Japanese outlet selling parts for American Guitars and Amps.
Or maybe a Japanese Fender dealer can get it for you for peanuts.
3) maybe it's available on EBay (even if a knockoff, who cares?  no mystery technology in a plain jack).

Jesterminute

Thanks JM, all valid points.  Yeah I'll definitely have a hunt in Japan.  I'm sure there are some parts dealers I can speak to.  I'll keep this updated.

Cheers

Jesterminute

Cheers guys for the help!  I managed to source a shop in Japan and they sent the part you suggested at a very cheap price (5 dollars).   My friend soldered the jack and the amp now plays very nicely.  The problem has been fixed.

So, thanks again J M Fahey, and Enzo, I really appreciate the help! 

Best regards,
Michael