Welcome to Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:19:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Changing gain stage

Started by Dutch, February 21, 2009, 05:33:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutch

Hi,

I have a SS trace elliot supertramp. I like it a lot, but there is one problem. There is only a boostfunction in the drive section. I am also using some drive pedals and I can not get them to work with the drive section of the amp because there is too much gain in the drive section. I am wondering if I can change the gain stages in the drive section. On maximum gain I would just like a light crunch.When I engage my drive pedals the sound doesn't change toomuch and I can use the boostfunction in the drive section together with the drive pedals which is difficult now..Is this possible and do you guys have any ideas what changes I have to make in the drive section?

Cheers,

Dutch

J M Fahey

Dear Dutch, i donĀ“t think you have a *real* problem here.
Neither you have to modify your amp.
If you find that you have too much gain, and would rather have "a light crunch" so your pedals are noticed, just do it.
You have both a drive pot and a footswitchable boost: you should lower them until you get the base sound you want.
I agree with you, once you have a lot of distortion, adding more of it up front may not change things much.
Bye.